Skip to main content

Productivity Metric

Last post 05:04 pm January 18, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
07:29 am January 17, 2019

My organization created new team recognition policy to identify the best team so they divided the KPI Metrics as 4 Dimension. One of the Dimension is Speed: measure the team's productivity. For example : Velocity, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Say-Do ratio, Wastage etc. Now my question is whether we can use the velocity as a metric to measure the team productivity ?

07:18 pm January 17, 2019

Wouldn't it be better for the teams to use metrics like this to improve value delivery, and for others to gauge success by the actual value those teams produce?

10:41 pm January 17, 2019

My organization created new team recognition policy to identify the best team

What is the reason for wanting to identify the best team, rather than assessing each team individually?

What kind of behaviour might this encourage?

11:14 pm January 17, 2019

my question is whether we can use the velocity as a metric to measure the team productivity ?

No velocity is not a measure of productivity.  Cycle time could be used though.

05:04 pm January 18, 2019

I am not sure how your measurement actually identifies the "best team" based on Scrum.  It seems that the better metrics would measure the value of what they provide to the stakeholders.  Because I could easily coach a team to be fast and not deliver anything of value.  

Scrum isn't supposed to make you faster.  It is supposed to help you deliver value frequently. By virtue, you will be delivering value faster but only if that is the focus and not just getting stuff done fast.  It will also uncover inefficiencies in your organization that is hindering the ability to deliver value. 

To answer you original question

Now my question is whether we can use the velocity as a metric to measure the team productivity ?

In my opinion, no.  Velocity does not indicate speed.  It indicates how much a team estimates that they can do and how consistent they are at that.  It can also be used to understand how good the team is at estimating but even then it needs to combined with something like cycle time or through put.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.