Skip to main content

Second "development team standup"

Last post 04:28 pm January 24, 2019 by Brian Gooder
6 replies
02:36 am January 23, 2019

Hi all,

My team has started a daily 30-minute "development team standup" in addition to the Daily Standup, and I wanted to get the forum's thoughts on the approach I was thinking. For context, I'm the Business Analyst on the team.

Our daily standup is at 10AM and involves approx 15 attendees - myself, the development team, Scrum Master, Product Owner, and several other business representatives. Everyone answers the three questions. The "development team standup" has been set up for 12PM.

My thoughts are that having a second dev-only standup is an anti-pattern and is a symptom of other issues in the team or in the daily standup. I'm aware that according to the Scrum Guide, the daily standup is for the development team to coordinate their work and plan for the day, and while others may attend, they do not contribute (not even myself).

I was planning on observing the team's behaviour and thoughts on the dev standup and bringing it up during the next retrospective, to find out what the issues are with the current daily standup and suggesting that only the development team contribute.

Does this sound like a good approach? Or should I ask the team if they feel it's an issue first?

04:38 am January 23, 2019

First thought that came into my mind was why does team require second stand up meeting? If second standup is required then what is the difference between first and second meeting? What does scrum master think about this setup? How does scrum master going to facilitate 2 standup meetings?

07:52 am January 23, 2019

Our daily standup is at 10AM and involves approx 15 attendees - myself, the development team, Scrum Master, Product Owner, and several other business representatives.

Aren’t the others collaborating with the Development Team throughout the working day?

Everyone answers the three questions.

If everyone’s work is needed to meet the Sprint Goal, why isn’t everyone in a Development Team?

02:11 pm January 23, 2019

My team has started a daily 30-minute "development team standup" in addition to the Daily Standup, and I wanted to get the forum's thoughts on the approach I was thinking. For context, I'm the Business Analyst on the team.

The team already has a "development team standup" :) It's called the daily scrum, and, as you mentioned, takes place at 10 AM. Why have another one at noon, and incur waste in the process?

Our daily standup is at 10AM and involves approx 15 attendees - myself, the development team, Scrum Master, Product Owner, and several other business representatives. Everyone answers the three questions. The "development team standup" has been set up for 12PM.

That's the issue right there. Not all 15 attendees need to answer the 3 questions. Only DT members do. It's their meeting. Nobody else should speak - business reps are all free to attend, and can confer with the PO and/or SM, after the DS takes place. SM and PO may not even attend, but can if they choose to, of course.

Also, it sounds to me there's other waste for business representatives, and maybe, sometimes, even the PO to be there - business reps should be in touch with the PO, and only attend the DS if there's something they really want to participate in - they should have more important things to do.

03:54 pm January 23, 2019

Since you say that you are the Business Analyst, I'm going to make an assumption that you haven't really looked at the Scrum Guide. (Assumption based on experience with Business Analysts at my former and current company.)  I'm going to give you a link to the section that describes the Daily Scrum and the purpose (https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#events-daily).  What you are describing as your 10:00 am gathering seems more like a status meeting. In Scrum, you don't need to have those because the Scrum Team, stakeholders and outside contributors are in constant communication. 

I do applaud your desire to know more and encourage you to continue your quest.  Start with the Scrum Guide and get to a point where you understand it.  I also think that bringing this up in the Retrospective is a great idea.  But I'm again going to assume that the reason you wanted to bring it up is not the same reason that I think it is a good idea.  

07:05 pm January 23, 2019

Aren’t the others collaborating with the Development Team throughout the working day?

Yes, I believe they are.

If everyone’s work is needed to meet the Sprint Goal, why isn’t everyone in a Development Team?

I don't think everyone's work is needed to complete the Sprint Goal. So as others have mentioned, perhaps they don't need to attend/contribute at the Daily Standup.

Why have another one at noon, and incur waste in the process?

That's exactly what I was wondering :)

What you are describing as your 10:00 am gathering seems more like a status meeting. In Scrum, you don't need to have those because the Scrum Team, stakeholders and outside contributors are in constant communication. 

I've often thought it feels like that as well. I'll bring it up at the retrospective and see what the team thinks.

(I've read the Scrum Guide several times and recently got my PSM I, but of course there's always more to learn and I'll keep referring to the Scrum Guide for things like this).

Thanks everyone!

04:28 pm January 24, 2019

I see in the Scrum Guide under Daily Scrum "The Development Team or team members often meet immediately after the Daily Scrum for detailed discussions, or to adapt, or replan, the rest of the Sprint’s work."

We call this our post-Scrum and this is only done when the Dev Team feels it is necessary.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.