Skip to main content

Oscillating Burndown

Last post 06:04 pm January 23, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
10:11 am January 23, 2019

I've been working as a Scrum Master for four months. We have two teams and run three-week sprints. The trend is that either the Sprint Backlog element will finish in two weeks and new items will be pulled out of the product backlog, or they will not finish it and push into the next sprint.

Every suggestion is really appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance 

Resmi

11:39 am January 23, 2019

We have two teams and run three-week sprints. The trend is that either the Sprint Backlog element will finish in two weeks and new items will be pulled out of the product backlog, or they will not finish it and push into the next sprint.

At what point during a Sprint does such a trend become apparent, and how effectively do the team then replan to ensure that the Sprint Goal is met?

06:04 pm January 23, 2019

On the sprints that " finish in two weeks" is the Sprint Goal satisfied and a potentially releasable increment produced?  Does the new items pulled in help support the Sprint Goal or start entirely new work?  What kind of discussion occurs in this situation?

On the sprints "they will not finish it and push into the next sprint" similar questions.  What kind of discussion occurs in this situation?  Are they accomplishing the Sprint Goal?  If not, could they have known sooner and initiated discussion about this with the Product Owner? 

In my opinion, neither of these situations is terrible as long as the entire team is open with information and have continuous discussions on what is happening and why. I have teams that have experience similar situations but with the discussions I suggested, they were able to understand and adapt to the results.  From your questions it appears that you feel this is a problem.  How does the rest of the Scrum Team feel about it?  If you haven't asked, why?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.