Skip to main content

Regarding Scaling Scrum

Last post 06:28 am February 26, 2019 by Akbar Basha Md
14 replies
09:36 am February 5, 2019

Hello Guys,

I have a question which I couldn't understand what would be the best fit.

Question: For whom is MUST to attend or participate in Nexus Daily Scrum?

Per Nexus Scrum Guide, "The Nexus Daily Scrum is an event for appropriate representatives from individual Development Teams to inspect the current state of the Integrated Increment and to identify integration issues or newly discovered cross-team dependencies or cross-team impacts."

Does this mean, Nexus Integration Team (Specifically Team Member) is not required to attend the daily scrum?

If No, Whats the rationale in having Nexus Daily Scrum without Nexus Integration Team Member.

If Yes, am good with my assumption  :)

Please share your thoughts, it really helps.

Thanks!!

09:19 pm February 5, 2019

Whats the rationale in having Nexus Daily Scrum without Nexus Integration Team Member.

Do you think that NIT members should attend the Nexus Daily Scrum? If so, why?

09:50 pm February 5, 2019

this may help.  https://www.scrum.org/resources/they-thought-it-was-overkill-nexus-daily-scrum 

07:32 am February 6, 2019

Thanks Eric..

09:18 am February 6, 2019

Hello Ian,

My understanding is like this,

Attendees in the daily scrum is development team (as per Scrum guide) 

In similar way, I assume, In Nexus too, it might be must for NIT members to attend the Nexus daily scrum.

This is just my assumption which am trying to get clarified through this post :)

Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Thanks!

12:02 pm February 6, 2019

In Scrum, the Development Team do the work needed to create a “Done” increment. The Daily Scrum is an opportunity for them to inspect and adapt their progress.

Do you believe that Nexus Integration Team members ought to do this work as well, and so join a Nexus Daily Scrum?

12:58 pm February 6, 2019

"Do you believe that Nexus Integration Team members ought to do this work as well, and so join a Nexus Daily Scrum?"

No.

So, NIT member is NOT required to attend the daily scrum.

Thanks for questioning, and letting me find the answer by myself :)

01:54 pm February 6, 2019

Sorry, am bothering again :(

Per Nexus guide, "Common activities the Nexus Integration Team might perform include coaching, consulting, and highlighting awareness of dependencies and cross-team issues. It might also perform work from the Product Backlog."

When the NIT team performs Work from product backlog, do we need to assume its for creating "DONE" increment? 

If yes, does this mean, NIT along with development team, will be attending the Nexus daily scrum for inspection and adaption?

What exactly can we infer from 'Work'?

Please help to understand.

04:13 pm February 6, 2019

The Nexus Guide says:

“The Nexus Integration Team is accountable for ensuring that a “Done” Integrated Increment (the combined work completed by a Nexus) is produced at least once every Sprint. The Scrum Teams are responsible for delivering “Done” Increments of potentially releasable products, as prescribed in Scrum.”

Since the NIT is accountable, they may be obliged by exception to form a Scrum Team, and thereby ensure that an integrated and Done increment is built. In such a situation they would have the duties of any other Scrum Team, including attendance at a Nexus Daily Scrum.

In other words it is Scrum Teams which are expected to perform the work to create a Done increment, and while it is possible for a Nexus Integration Team to also constitute such a team this is not its purpose.

06:44 am February 7, 2019

Hello Ian,

Thanks a lot !!

Absolutely clear with your tremendous explanation..!

If I understand it correctly, it sounds - for Nexus Review and Retrospection events too, the above explanation holds good.

Please provide your insights, it helps me to correct my understanding.

Thanks.

09:42 am February 15, 2019

After going through many reads, I understand that, NIT team is required to attend the Nexus Sprint review and retrospection.

Please ignore my earlier comment. "If I understand it correctly, it sounds - for Nexus Review and Retrospection events too, the above explanation holds good."

Thanks to all for your support... :)

05:17 pm February 21, 2019

Can someone help me on this query... 

When many scrum teams are working on the same product, should all their increments be integrated every sprint?

My opinion, yes, else would be difficult for the PO to inspect accurately, what is done.

Is there any other reason,  such as scrum team's work dependencies,  also to be considered in this regard.

Appreciate help. 

05:30 pm February 21, 2019

Is there any other reason,  such as scrum team's work dependencies,  also to be considered in this regard.

My advice is to rethink what you mean by “work dependencies”, as it is perhaps too broad a category.

Impediments to integration can include technical dependencies and functional dependencies between backlog items. There can also be human dependencies, including constraints on which team members have certain skills or authorizations. Some dependencies may be external, such as those on third party suppliers.

04:31 pm February 25, 2019

Do you think having a fully integrated product increment should be made conditional upon anything?

06:28 am February 26, 2019

No... My query is clarified.

Thank you, Ian.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.