Skip to main content

Need clarification on ELS/Hypercare

Last post 07:03 pm February 14, 2019 by Girija Sankar Sahu
3 replies
02:49 pm February 13, 2019

Dear All,

I have a doubt on ELS/ Hypercare, I have 4 years of project management experience. First time I am working on Agile project, while creating the WO – once  we close all sprints, how to support the production system for 2-4 weeks after go-live. Do we need to put one more sprint for ELS?

Thanks,

Giri

07:46 pm February 13, 2019

Per the Scrum Guide:

The heart of Scrum is a Sprint, a time-box of one month or less during which a "Done", useable, and potentially releasable product Increment is created... Sprint has a goal of what is to be built, a design and flexible plan that will guide building it, the work, and the resultant product increment.

My advice is not to confuse a sprint (which serves to build something that is eligible for production release) with release or production support efforts.   Those activities are outside of the Scrum framework - manage them in a way that makes the most sense for you and your company.

08:07 pm February 13, 2019

I would recommend to release your software as early as possible. If there are escaped defects, the Scrum Team can put them to the PBL or to the SBL, if they impact the sprint goal. If you release the software to late you have to deal with the technical dept and defects maybe without your scrum team.

From my personal experience... My PO was not able to release for some sprints caused by a important delayed deliverable from an external vendor which the team could not solve them self. This caused some wrong assumptions (and some late found escaped defects). That was not a nice situation for everybody.

03:30 pm February 14, 2019

Thank you Timothy and Nils for sharing your thoughts. Its better I will manage outside of the scrum framework as per Business request.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.