Skip to main content

Estimating... (Ahem...)

Last post 10:45 pm February 19, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
2 replies
04:03 pm February 18, 2019

OK, so whether in a refinement session or planning, when it comes to estimating user stories I have a question...

Estimates (I use story points) are a consensus from the whole dev team. If one member of the dev team genuinely knows nothing about what needs to be done, i.e. a QA having no idea of the dev effort involved (or vice-versa), what is the point in that person being involved in estimating? This may even be on the back of a discussion about the user story but it may still leave that individual with no clue on the effort involved. What value does it add? Surely they are just completely guessing...

10:38 pm February 19, 2019

If one member of the dev team genuinely knows nothing about what needs to be done, i.e. a QA having no idea of the dev effort involved (or vice-versa), what is the point in that person being involved in estimating?

If people are unable or unwilling to collaborate, and to develop into more informed team members with a shared perspective, then there may be little point in trying to estimate the work which can be jointly taken on.

10:45 pm February 19, 2019

Please keep in mind that all estimates are guesses.   ;-)

But to your question, if the team needs to deliver an item, surely there is development and testing involved?   Does a team member with expertise in development have clear knowledge of what is needed for QA?   Vice-versa?

The team should be estimating the entire size of the item, and not just their own area of expertise.

Do you think that there is a higher likelihood of team ownership of an item, if the entire team contributes to the refinement and estimation of it?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.