Skip to main content

Scrum master service to product owner

Last post 12:35 am February 24, 2019 by Marco Glorie
1 reply
07:43 am February 23, 2019

As per scrum guide

1)Understanding the product planning in empirical environment.

Do this mean that scum master should make the product owner understand the product planning?

2)Understanding and practicing agility

What does this mean as per product owner role?

12:35 am February 24, 2019

Dear Tejas,

Ad 1) I am not an expert on the theory, but have been working with scrum methodology for >5 years now as product owner. In my opinion the scrum master should facilitate refining meetings with the team, so that userstories or epics or larger chunks of work are estimated by the team on complexity.

Based on that in my experience that product owner can construct a roadmap (what you call a product planning), which is basically the backlog estimated delivery in time, based on the teams velocity. Now, this is not a planning in the waterfall way of working. Because userstories get refined better, which will lead to better estimations of complexity. Also teams velocity could change over time. 

Because priorities in the backlog change often in my experience, and refining continually leads to adjusted complexity estimations, I prefer using tooling to generate the roadmap for me or using tooling in which I can in high level visualize to my stakeholders when what would be delivered. For example: roadmunk, a-ha or priooo.

Ad 2) A product owner should be very aware of his role. Only defining the what. And based on estimation of complexity by the team (the how), prioritize userstories based on value creation. He/she should be the person that manages stakeholders expectations. The scrummaster has in the theory the role of evangelizing the way of working, but I think in practice also the product owner should do this within an organization

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.