Skip to main content

Commitment and Forecast

Last post 06:04 pm March 4, 2019 by Simon Mayer
2 replies
01:34 pm March 4, 2019

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about Sprint commitment lately and found a lot of articles about commitment vs forecast. Also I understand that the updated Scrum guide uses forecast instead of commitment. This is all very confusing for me.

Two questions:

- Can anyone give me the correct definitions of "commitment" and "forecast"?

- Can anyone advise me an article that simply explains what Scrum Teams are expected to commit to?

thanks,

Joost

01:58 pm March 4, 2019

Hi Joost,

I think this blog explain very well:

https://www.scrum.org/resources/commitment-vs-forecast

For your question about the definitions of "Commitment" and "forecast", I'll better leave an answer to a native English speaking agilist.

06:04 pm March 4, 2019

This post by Gunther Verheyen about Scrum Values gives a good explanation about how the word "commitment" has been misinterepreted, and explains why the word "forecast" is now used in terms of what a Development Team provides during the Sprint Planning:

https://guntherverheyen.com/2013/05/03/theres-value-in-the-scrum-values/

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.