Skip to main content

Budgeting according to Scrum

Last post 06:56 pm March 11, 2019 by Filip Beslic
2 replies
08:49 pm March 4, 2019

Hi,

In our organization we apply year-budgets and we don't evaluate money spent per sprint/release with the scrum-teams.

What is the standard way of budgeting/forecasting according to Scrum? Incremental or fixed? 

I scouted through the Scrum Guide and the resources on this website but didn't find anything. 

(We also work with the SAFe framework which has "Lean budgeting". Does that way of working resemble the way Scrum does?)

Anyone got an interesting link to an article covering this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Joost

06:59 am March 5, 2019

There’s no standard way, as it is up to the Product Owner to figure out how to best account for value.

However, if budgets and forecasts aren’t being inspected and adapted at least once per Sprint, based on the evidence of release, I think it would be important to question why not.

12:40 pm March 11, 2019

Try "agile estimating and planning" by Mike Cohn.

That being said, the agile community right now seems to be opposed to planning and forecasting in general, and takes a more drastic approach. Hence the movements: #noestimation and #noplanning. But remember, this means a drastic switch in organizational mindset and approach on a business-level which is really hard to obtain.

On a personal note: I wouldn't use SAFe since in my opinion this is a waterfall-approach ment to mimic agile. Why wouldn't I use it? Since it violates a few basic agile principles which make agile what it is. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.