Skip to main content

Good scrum-tracking software?

Last post 03:38 pm May 14, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
5 replies
05:31 pm May 1, 2019

I have a question with a twist. I'm looking for a good, free, simple, flexible scrum tracking application. But this isn't for software project; this is to track my todo lists in real life 

I've done this before with a home brewed spreadsheet (every month, I'd have a list of tasks I wanted to accomplish, and I applied the methodology mostly the same way I would in the office), and I've never been more productive. Unfortunately, things are more dynamic now, and maintaining the spreadsheet is annoying.

We use ScrumWorks (free edition) at work, and that's definitely an option, but I'd like to know other people's experience on what else is out there, preferably available in the package repositories (though nothing is coming up).

03:09 pm May 3, 2019

Trello - basic and effective (Scrum + Kanban)

Ever tried JIRA?

06:47 pm May 3, 2019

Sticky notes on a fridge door, To Do, Doing, Done

• Single piece flow
  • No opening of fridge door until an item is Done

10:45 pm May 5, 2019

I actually use a Scrum method for my personal projects and have looked for a tool in the past as well!

Here's what I have tried. One of these tools may work for you.

• Trello (free with paid option)
  • Asana (free for small groups I think)
  • Google Sheets (free)
  • Jira (paid)
  • Quickscrum (free I think?)
  • Todoist (free with paid option)

Trello is good for the board concept but I try to use story point estimation & velocity and that didn't work very well in Trello.

Asana is a great tool for a todo list and quite flexible but I was looking for something that allowed for a bit more data capture.

Jira I used for a month or so but found it was more geared towards software projects. I would consider going back to this though.

Quickscrum didn't quite work as I would have liked, I don't remember the reasons though.

Currently I use a combination of Google Sheets and Todoist. Google Sheets is used to track my Product Backlog (list of projects) as well as a few charts. I use Todoist for the tasks as I've used this for a few years and it works well for me.

If you're looking for a single tool from this list, I would recommend either Trello or Asana.

11:14 am May 14, 2019

I used excel sheets to manage my scrum projects for over 2 years. They got the job done but creating and maintaining them was a pain. About 2 sprints ago i came across ScrumEdge (http://www.scrumedge.com) (http://www.scrumedge.com) which is very similar to my excel sheet. The big difference is that i don't have to waste tie setting it up... plus it has better charts and many other features. 

If you are scrum master i recommend that you sign up. Run the wizard to build your scrum team (only scrum masters should sign up and other team members can be created later) and then your scrum project. Once your team has been assigned tasks in a sprint they can login and see their sprint log (which looks remarkably similar to the excel sheet i created 2 years ago):D

03:38 pm May 14, 2019

Once your team has been assigned tasks in a sprint

Sorry, but this jumped out at me.   Unsure of your environment Steven, but if anyone other than the Development Team is determining who should work on what, it simply is not Scrum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.