Skip to main content

Is it possible to bifurcate work stages in JIRA ?

Last post 09:18 am May 7, 2019 by vishal Rajadhyaksha
6 replies
06:20 am May 3, 2019

Is it possible to bifurcate work stage (I mean visualization) in JIRA ? For example, Code review is bifurcated into To Do and In Progress. This is required as I want to set max limit for WIP in some of the stages.

To Do

In Progress (max 4)

Code Review

- To do 

- In progress

Internal Testing

- To do (4)

- In progress (2)

UAT

Done

08:11 am May 3, 2019

If I understood correctly, then I suggest you to adapt your JIRA workflow(s). Speak with your JIRA admin or someone in devops

09:13 am May 3, 2019

If I understood correctly, then I suggest you to adapt your JIRA workflow(s). Speak with your JIRA admin or someone in devops

Okay..Thanks for the advise.

10:11 pm May 3, 2019

Check if you have the JIRA Simplified Workflow in your project settings - if so you can add as many columns as you want.

02:05 pm May 5, 2019

Jira allows tickets to be in different statuses; but then it maps the statuses to a specific column. You can have multiple statuses appear in the same column, and a WIP limit applied for that column.

As far as I know, there is no way to apply a WIP limit that covers multiple columns in Jira.

So you will probably need to decide between having separate columns for "Code Review – To Do" and "Code Review – In Progress", each with their own WIP limit, or a single "Code Review" column with a WIP limit that covers both statuses.

04:28 pm May 6, 2019

If you are using a Kanban board in Jira, you can limit WIP per column.  You will have to reconfigure your board, add some columns and statuses.  If you are a Jira Project Admin you can do this on your own. If you are not, you will need to enlist the help of your Jira Admins. 

Here is a link to the Jira documentation on how to do this. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns-938845277.html

09:18 am May 7, 2019

Thanks guys.

@Daniel ,

Indeed useful link.

If anyone reads this post in future- . here they have mentioned about setting column constraints

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns…

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.