Skip to main content

Manager Asking For Measure Of Team's Improvement

Last post 08:41 pm May 6, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
3 replies
08:03 pm May 3, 2019

As a Scrum Master, I have been asked by the Director of Development to provide a measurable "artifact" of how the team is doing.  They want to be able to measure how well the team is working together and how they are progressing as a team.  They have proposed that the Scrum Masters provide an output of what was identified as action items from a team's Retrospective and then measure if the team implements or finishes an action item.

My immediate reaction was absolutely not.  However, the director has asked how they can hold teams accountable and has stated that he wants transparency in how the teams are doing.

Has anyone had this scenario come up?  I feel the director should have an idea of how the teams are doing and if they are working well, but I struggle with letting Retrospective outputs leave the team... Is there a better way to measure or radiate this type of performance?

Any insight or reference material is greatly appreciated.

04:37 pm May 6, 2019

Been there, done that.  It wasn't easy but I was able to coach the director about how Scrum changes the way that he had to view things.  As a director in a Scrum organization, he has to adapt his style from command-control to servant-leader.  He should be trusting the teams to be delivering value in any way the see fit to do so. His "monitoring" mechanism is based on the delivery of value to the stakeholders and the satisfaction shown by the stakeholders. If the team is doing well, the value delivery and satisfaction will be increasing.  Does he really need to care about the fine details of how it is occurring?  What does he feel he can do with any information coming from the Retrospective? Is he going to start forcing teams to change?  Put entire teams on performance plans if they don't comply?  That is not very effective in an environment where teams are more valued than individual performance. A self-managed, self-organized team will do what is necessary in order for the team to be successful if they are given the opportunity to do so.

His main role as a director is to ensure that the teams have the resources, authority and support they need to be making the right decisions to deliver the appropriate value. 

04:54 pm May 6, 2019

As a Scrum Master, I have been asked by the Director of Development to provide a measurable "artifact" of how the team is doing.  They want to be able to measure how well the team is working together and how they are progressing as a team.

That would be the Definition of Done.

• Is it release ready?
  • Is the level of quality being improved?
  • Does the team have all of the skills needed?
  • Are the team, in practice, able to meet it?

If not...what is the deficit for release, and what can the "Director of Development" do to help the team remove that deficit?

08:41 pm May 6, 2019

the director has asked how they can hold teams accountable

Are the teams delivering according to the Definition of Done?   Are they consistently meeting their forecasts?   Is there an established or growing trust between the PO and the Development Team?

Is their concern around only the Development Team, or is it for the entire Scrum Team (SM and PO too)?   If so, what is customer feedback like?   Is the Scrum Team consistently delighting end users each sprint?

What else should the director concern themselves with?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.