Skip to main content

Which Agile Certification to go for after PSM1: PMI ACP or PSPO1?

Last post 04:25 pm December 19, 2020 by Neelesh Sharma
5 replies
06:26 am May 6, 2019

Hi All,

I wanted to have an advice with you all.. I recently passed my PSM1 with a score of 93.8%

Should i go for PSPO1 (Product Owner) or PMI ACP?

I am already PMP certified. 

I was initially hired as Project Manager in an HR/Payroll Company, and now in Feature lead role.

I have also experience in banking, retail and tourism industry. I am from an IT Background.

My company is currently undergoing Agile Transformation.  Since last year, I have now worked in different roles, ranging from Scrum Master to Product Owner, and now Feature Lead. 

My main aim (as IT Project Manager) is to get the implementation done for the different customers. And I work with the different product owners (Five in all) who are responsible for development/enhancements in the product we offer for HR/Payroll Implementations. 

We have McKinzey Europe who have helped us/helping us to do the Agile Transformation. We have Full Time Agile Coaches in our company who support us in this journey.. There are dedicated and also part-time scrum masters in the different teams.

I would also say that 90% of the teams are using Scrum and some Kanban or ScrumBan.

Any advices on which certificate to go for first?? PSPO1 or PMI ACP?

Thanks for the inputs from the experts on this forum

10:09 am May 8, 2019

Should i go for PSPO1 (Product Owner) or PMI ACP?

Well, what's the difference between the two? And why are you considering each?

I recently passed my PSM1 with a score of 93.8%

I am already PMP certified. 

Are you in the business of collecting certifications? What benefits do you have from the two ones you already have?

Your path so far: PMP > PSM1 > PMI ACP or PSPO1. Doesn't make much sense to me

09:17 am May 13, 2019

I would encourage you to go through the below presentation, it may enlighten you to know the differences between these two.

Link: https://www.slideshare.net/AnjaliLeonPMPCSPICAg/making-sense-of-agile-c…

Are you in the business of collecting certifications? What benefits do you have from the two ones you already have?

To reply to your very rude question, NO I am not in the business of collecting certifications? Are you in the business yourself? Why did you do your PSM certification?

Please try not to make sense to my question, as my path has been different from Waterfall Projects (Client Implementation) and the reason for getting the PMP, and now in Product Development which is going through Agile Transformation.

10:40 am May 13, 2019

Hi Mohamed,

After studying the Scrum Guide and passing PSM I had a look at the PMI ACP material and found it confusing compared with the mindset of the Scrum Guide. Studying for the PMI ACP assessment would have gotten in my way of continuing the Scrum.org study-path but that perception could be different for other people.

With PSPO you go on the Product Owner path while PMI ACP seems more about agile in general and a mix of Scrum, XP, Kanban, DSDM etc. Probably very interesting too but more like a toolbox of many practices and less focused on the agile mindset or the PO role.

In your shoes... I would choose between PMI ACP or continue studying Scrum (and totally stay away from PMI ACP).

I hope you can work with this.

kind regards,

11:58 am May 13, 2019

I would encourage you to go through the below presentation, it may enlighten you to know the differences between these two.

Link: https://www.slideshare.net/AnjaliLeonPMPCSPICAg/making-sense-of-agile-c…

I knew the difference before addressing my question to you. My goal was (is?) to see whether you know it yourself, and whether you were (are) able to explain it yourself with the goal of making your decision (choose A over B) easier (more obvious?). It is now clear to me you'd need to perform extra research and expand your knowledge in order to come to the best conclusion (and the right certification)

The link you gave contains questionable information in that putting Lean, RUP and SAFe under the Agile Umbrella is something of concern. Did the author perhaps mean to say Lean Startup? 

To reply to your very rude question, NO I am not in the business of collecting certifications? Are you in the business yourself? Why did you do your PSM certification?

Please try not to make sense to my question, as my path has been different from Waterfall Projects (Client Implementation) and the reason for getting the PMP, and now in Product Development which is going through Agile Transformation.

I'm sorry you felt my question was rude. It was only natural  to ask when noting your path PMP > PSM1 > PMI ACP or PSPO1, so I was hoping to build a constructive discussion on whether you found benefits by having PMP and PSM1, then determine what's your most likely decision given the arguments in favour of one (PSPO1) or another (PMI ACP). Because right now, to me it looks like you favor collecting certifications over building knowledge.

What is your role within Product Development?

01:21 pm December 19, 2020

PMI ACP focuses on Agile Project Management. It requires real-world experience and does not purely rely on just the classroom training, Regrading PSPO1, it is not required to attend the course and you can directly take the exam. You can take the exam if you have budgetary constraints but the exam is relatively hard, so be prepared to study well before taking it. I recently wrote a blog on Agile Certifications that might be best for you.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.