Skip to main content

How to deal with stakeholders during the sprint?

Last post 07:17 am May 10, 2019 by Sander Dur
4 replies
12:31 pm May 7, 2019

Hi,

I still get a bit confused on how Scrum deals with the collaboration between the development team and the stakeholders.

Based on my comprehension, I assume that the Development Team can interact with the stakeholders as much as necessary, as soon as possible, whenever it is necessary.

Is that correct? The sprint review in this perspective is an opportunity to frequently inspect and adapt the Product (Backlog) and get feedback on the softwrae increment.

So Developpers in this mode can have a direct access to clients or end users during the development phase, and co-create with them the best possible product increment, considering them as "extended team members".

Still correct?

Thanks,

J.

01:40 pm May 7, 2019

Hi Jason, 

I really like your view on collaboration between the development team and the stakeholders. When there is too much communication going on, the team should address it in the retrospective and some changes should be made. 

We have a similar structure and I personally see some big benefits in the setup you described.

Nils

05:02 pm May 7, 2019

...considering them as "extended team members".

Why blur the team boundary in such a way? Regardless of how collaborative stakeholders should or prove to be, what risks might this present?

01:57 pm May 9, 2019

Hello,

Thanks for sharing feedback and insights!

Actually what happens in my context is that product is built in constant alignement with our client's expectations. Client is part of the team. In our business, this is a key concern in order to have the shortest feedback loop between a request and it's release. Having the client within the team allows us to continuously focus on the most vauable features and implementation strategies for these features. But I recognize this must be a very specific situation. We develop an SAAS solution and this is quite an ideal environment to share (cocreate) the product guidance with our clients.

J.

07:17 am May 10, 2019

Having the client within the team allows us to continuously focus on the most vauable features and implementation strategies for these features.

Would there be any better way to develop high value products? I can hardly think of any. Constant validation of the benefit/value hypothysis are indeed developed correctly is the most accurate and adaptive one.

Customer collaboration>contraction negotiation:) 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.