Skip to main content

MS project is used in Scrum Project for project management ?

Last post 06:09 am May 10, 2019 by vishal Rajadhyaksha
6 replies
05:58 am May 8, 2019

If I need to answer the same question my answer would be No. Since, scrum management tools like VersionOne and Jira have everything needed for resource/project management . However, our product owner is going to introduce MS project soon. Why ? I have no clarity yet. 

So, just to make sure what I am thinking about MS project is correct, I want to ask using MS Project in Scrum Project is still relevant ?  Anyone of you use MS project in Scrum ? If yes, for what purpose ? Which are your requirements do not get fulfilled by Scrum management tools?

07:48 am May 8, 2019

What does the Scrum Guide have to say about projects?

What problem has been exposed which the use of a tool would solve?

09:36 am May 8, 2019

What does the Scrum Guide have to say about projects?

A sprint can be considered as one project.

What problem has been exposed which the use of a tool would solve?

Tool can help us in - : 

1. analyzing capacity for sprint (Resource management)

2. Velocity (Average rate of progress)

3. Burn down & Burn up chart (Reporting)

4. Planning and Scheduling (Product backlog and sprint management)

5. Assigning resources to work items

6. Collaboration among team members

06:30 pm May 8, 2019

our product owner is going to introduce MS project soon. 

Introduce how, and to whom?   

Has the PO discussed the challenges and/or pain points that they feel MS Project will help with?

Does the PO understand that they have no authority to impose the use of any tool like MS Project on the rest of the Scrum Team, provided that current sprint work and progress are already visible through other means/tools?

06:53 pm May 8, 2019

The main problem I see with Project and other Waterfall focused tools is that they tend to encourage people to spend more time getting the numbers right than they do doing the work that is being captured by the tool.

If it's being used for resource management, I will tell you that my experience with Project is that resources work fine unless you level them, at which point the software becomes a tangled mess.

Other tools are much better for this.

Things you would use Project for you can just as easily do in Azure Dev Ops and possibly in Jira (I've not used it, so I don't know)  Allocation Hours are fairly easy to track, if you're tracking hours, by recording them at the task level and letting them roll up. 

Story mapping takes the place of a gantt chart for the most part.  I've also found that most project managers don't actually know how to use MS Project to schedule a project, they just move the gantt bars around to make things look about right, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a project scheduling tool, in my mind.

Linked In Learning has a class on using Project in Agile Projects. I wasn't really all that impressed to be honest.

07:30 am May 9, 2019

1. analyzing capacity for sprint (Resource management)

2. Velocity (Average rate of progress)

3. Burn down & Burn up chart (Reporting)

4. Planning and Scheduling (Product backlog and sprint management)

5. Assigning resources to work items

6. Collaboration among team members

Do you really need MS project or any other tool for this or is there any non-digital way to start off with to do these things? 

06:09 am May 10, 2019

Do you really need MS project or any other tool for this or is there any non-digital way to start off with to do these things? 

These features do get satisfied with Agile tools like VersionOne . So, I don't think MS Project is required. As I mentioned in first post I just wanted to check if anyone here still uses MS Project and if yes for what purpose.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.