Skip to main content

Spearheading scrum after a transition to scrumban

Last post 07:03 pm May 10, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
02:48 pm May 10, 2019

I just started as an organization's first scrum master and they have switched off of sprints, do not practice scrum events, most teams are remote, titles are retained, and product owner versus scrum master roles appear to be ambiguous at this time.

Does anyone have this kind of experience and any advice on navigating? I do have support from my boss and most of the teams, but I'm not sure they understand agile on a fundamental level.

Anything is appreciated. Thank you!

06:30 pm May 10, 2019

How do you know that Scrum is truly the most appropriate solution, or even the most appropriate starting point, for this organization?

Personally, I tend more toward leaner, just-in-time approaches to all activities, but starting with or even staying with more rigid timeboxes does have benefits for some teams and organizations. I would ensure that key events happen - time is set aside for refining and replenishing the backlog, that reviews are held with stakeholders to get feedback and this feedback is incorporated into the backlog, that the priorities of the backlog are reviewed and adjusted based on the current state of the known world, that coordination meetings are held, that the team's process is reviewed and revised on a regular basis.

Rather than trying to enforce Scrum, focus on identifying impediments to success, working with the organization to find ways to eliminate them, and moving the team toward delivering value to stakeholders.

07:03 pm May 10, 2019

I'm not sure they understand agile on a fundamental level.

What evidence is there that Scrum was implemented in the first place, and found lacking, so that the “transition to Scrumban” you refer to might be effected?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.