Skip to main content

User story advice

Last post 03:42 pm May 28, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
7 replies
08:50 pm May 24, 2019

As part of a project I’ve been asked to write a detailed functional specification for a particular component of a website. 

The functional specification needs to describe the functionality from the views of a visitor and an admin and it needs to include acceptance criteria. 

Can anyone give me any advice on how to document this and any examples?

10:22 pm May 24, 2019

As part of a project I’ve been asked to write a detailed functional specification for a particular component of a website. 

Highly detailed functional specifications are very typical of a waterfall way of documentation. Is this an Agile project you are working on? 

Since your question is on a user story and it appears what you are trying to document is pretty extensive, you may have to decompose the work into multiple stories. These could be coherent stories that align to a specific functionality and could be grouped as a feature.

The typical user story format is "As a < type of user >, I want < some goal > so that < some reason >."

So for example, you could write something like "As a visitor to the website, I want to view the different products by price range, so that I can choose the item relevant to my budget".

Now, you're acceptance criteria should be everything that would make sure the above functionality works and it should be testable (ideally speaking).

As a guideline (strictly a guideline only), you'd want to write a story such that it fits onto an index card (3 by 5 inches). The front of the card should accomodate the description and the back should be used to fit the Acceptance Criteria.

Hope this helps.

05:25 am May 25, 2019

So I’ve been given the user story and a screen shot of the component of the website. 

It’s the documenting of the functional specification of the screenshot which I’m unsure about how to approach. 

06:36 am May 25, 2019

What are the expectations regarding how this detail will be validated?

09:07 am May 25, 2019

Don't forget a user story is basically just a reminder for a conversation to have among the people interested in user's needs.

=> rules of the 3 C's : Card / Conversation / Confirmation

10:23 pm May 26, 2019

In addition to Ian's question, I would also suggest focusing on the "what" (the requirements) and not the "how" (what I think a functional spec is).

So ask yourself/the PO/stakeholders what the component is meant to achieve.

08:06 am May 27, 2019

What is the level of detail you're asked to describe? Is there any flexibility to experiment or to add to the empirical process Scrum embodies?

03:42 pm May 28, 2019

A bunch of questions:

• Who is requesting this information?   
  • Do you know the reasons why they are requesting it?
  • What is your role in this "project"? 
  • Is Scrum being followed in your organization?
  • Is the Development Team better positioned to provide such solution-based content?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.