Skip to main content

Product Owner creating status reports for management team acceptable?

Last post 09:03 pm May 20, 2022 by Howard Keen
8 replies
07:53 pm May 30, 2019

Is the PO creating status reports for management an acceptable additional responsibility for the PO in the world of Scrum?

I can't find it in the Scrum guide one way or the other.

So guessing this is not in official scope of this role and should not be done?

Grateful for thoughts/advice of others.

08:43 pm May 30, 2019

Chris, you have a PSM2 certification, so I am unsure why you would pose this type of question.

Scrum is a framework.   It is not prescriptive.   It specifies many things you must do, but if it is not mentioned in the Guide, and it doesn't violate anything in the Guide, then I see no reason why it should be forbidden.

As always, it should be left up to each team to determine what works best for them.

07:47 am May 31, 2019

Chris, you have a PSM2 certification, so I am unsure why you would pose this type of question.

I can understand where it's coming from, because not all organizations use reports for the best.

OT:  what would make it unacceptable using reports by the PO for management?

09:20 am May 31, 2019

what would make it unacceptable using reports by the PO for management?

The PO must be respected as the authority on product value, but that does not imply a reporting based relationship with management and stakeholders. Reports can introduce filters and delay to the timely and accurate consumption of information. Hence when contrasted with the use of information radiators and a “go see” management style, for example, the waste associated with reporting can make it unacceptable.

09:52 am May 31, 2019

The PO must be respected as the authority on product value, but that does not imply a reporting based relationship with management and stakeholders. Reports can introduce filters and delay to the timely and accurate consumption of information. Hence when contrasted with the use of information radiators and a “go see” management style, for example, the waste associated with reporting can make it unacceptable.

That was the exact I was looking for, just from Chris, haha. 

11:28 am May 31, 2019

Thanks everyone, I'm a bit clearer.

The Product Owner is evidently responsible for tracking value creation and liaising with stakeholders, and yes good reminder that the Scrum Guide is exactly that a non-prescriptive guide, it's a framework - so it seems reports for management whilst not always the most efficient activity, is not deemed unacceptable.

03:00 pm May 31, 2019

One thing that was called out and can not be emphasized enough is that reports to management can be dangerous if that management is not informed and knowledgeable about how Scrum and agile operate. 

If your Product Owners are being asked to provide these reports, I suggest you, as Scrum Master, sit with the Product Owner and collaborate on the reports that are being constructed and presented.  That unified front can help shield the teams from management getting involved unnecessarily. 

03:11 pm May 31, 2019

Thanks Daniel, I totally agree regular reports for management is not great, and I've certainly worked in a couple environments where management's understanding of scrum and sprint planning and product development requirements upstream has created all kinds of problems.

The purpose of this post/thread was to get a steer specifically in the textbook world of Scrum. 

07:12 am May 20, 2022

There is no point in making PO make reports that is a job of product manager. A product manager is considred as CEO of Product who will be responsible for every part of the production. Team Division, reporting, market research and all the things that are based on product team. You can read my article for more information about product management and recruitment process. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.