Skip to main content

Process improvement item in Sprint Backlog

Last post 04:59 pm June 3, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
12:11 am June 3, 2019

Can a process improvement item identified in Sprint Retrospective be included in the Sprint Backlog without it first being in the Product Backlog?

Since The Development Team is sole owner of the Sprint Backlog, I think this should be ok provided it is able to deliver a useable increment with the required functionality? If this is really a process improvement feature it is likely to result in higher efficiency and time saving. 

Thoughts?

best regards,

Alok.

07:10 am June 3, 2019

Process Improvement Items identified in during sprint retrospective should not be added to the Product Backlog. 

The key difference between Product & Sprint Backlog

Product Backlog focus on 'WHAT'. Accountable- Product Owner 

Sprint Backlog focus on 'HOW'- Accountable- Development Team 

Generally, most of the process improvement items are linked to 'HOW' the team should deliver the product backlog item. As Sprint Backlog becomes the key reference artefact for the development team post sprint planning; process improvement items should be added to it. 

This also enhances the empirical process by bringing transparency for the entire development team and results can be inspected and teams can further adapt. 

07:10 am June 3, 2019

You're correct. Team improvements like this are not meant to go to the PB.

10:37 am June 3, 2019

According to the Scrum Guide, the Product Backlog is "an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product". That precludes many, but not all, process improvement items from the Product Backlog. I would make the case that some items, such as those that would improve the testability or the easy of deployment of the product may be appropriate for the Product Backlog. My guidance would be to determine if the change has an impact on the functional or non-functional/quality attributes of the product - if it does, then the Product Backlog may be an appropriate place for it.

The Scrum Guide defines the Sprint Backlog as "the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product increment and realizing the Sprint Goal." Since process improvements would likely impact the plan to deliver the product increment, then making them visible as part of the Sprint Backlog is important to ensure transparency throughout the process.

I would also make the assertion that potential process improvement items should be captured somewhere and prioritized. Of course, how you do this depends on the tools that you are using for managing your Product Backlog and Sprint Backlog - I'd do it differently with physical note cards on a wall than I would in a tool such as Jira. I believe in visibility and transparency into potential areas for improvement can help the team remember them and enact them when appropriate.

04:59 pm June 3, 2019

Since process improvements would likely impact the plan to deliver the product increment, then making them visible as part of the Sprint Backlog is important to ensure transparency throughout the process.

It could be argued that they *should* impact the plan. A process improvement item ought to be timely, and therefore relevant to the work in hand.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.