Skip to main content

Who has the final say on the acceptance criteria. Who writes them?

Last post 06:30 pm June 15, 2019 by Sander Dur
3 replies
06:42 am June 15, 2019

Dear all,

I just got along the acceptance criteria in the PSPO test...

Never heard about it. Nothing in the Scrum Guide.

Can somebody please einlight me who writes them and who has the final say on them?

Never ever heard about them before.

KR Jan

07:02 am June 15, 2019

In addition: Who is accountable for the acceptance criteria? 

Do they need to be in place before an item from the product backlog can be selected for the sprint backlog?

08:45 am June 15, 2019

Hi, 

Acceptance criteria aren't mandatory in scrum. The guide mentions that test descriptions are often included to prove the completeness of an item when done. Those desciptions can be interpreted as acceptance criteria.

Sinds the product owner is responsible for ensuring the Development Team understands items in the Product Backlog to the level needed, in my opinion it's the product owner that defines the acceptance criteria. 

When I look at my own projects, we write acceptance criteria for every item as part of the refinement. An item is "sprint ready" when it has acceptance criteria. We write them in a Given, When, Then form, so we can include them in our automated test scenario's. 

The benefit of writing these scenario's during refinement is that the team and the PO are forced to realy think about what the done item should do.

06:30 pm June 15, 2019

As they are acceptence criteria, why not ask  the accepting party?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.