Skip to main content

Is being a Scrum.org trainer too expensive?

Last post 01:06 pm June 26, 2019 by Eric Naiburg
9 replies
05:24 pm June 21, 2019

I’ve been looking at various ways an individual can become trained and be a trainer for Scrum and other Agile practices. Having looked at the process and cost I wondered what people’s thoughts were on the Certified Scrum Trainer program and cost. 

One of the reason I ask is seeing Scrum being done and coached. 

06:52 pm June 22, 2019

I have no clear picture on the costs, what are they?

11:11 pm June 22, 2019

https://www.scrum.org/become-professional-scrum-trainer/psm

report just over $6000 and a lot of time. Wondered what people thought.

11:23 am June 23, 2019

Sure, 6000 sounds a lot.But you have to see this in perspective I think. First of all, in in my view, up up to  PSM-III is also for the advanced professional scrum master, so I take this as separate from the training. I myself am going for PSM-III soon I hope, ith no aspiration of becomming a trainer.

Also, becoming a trainer means being on whole other level in the Scrum foodchain. Compared to other fields where you can become a trainer, I would say the prices are pretty accessible. Well balanced between distinction (you dont want everyone in the world calling themselves trainer, it removes the value from training or being a trainer, also for you if you are holding this certificate), but its not that expensive that you can not afford it if you are roling around in corporate world.

Lets say you earn $60K a year, we are talking 10% here, to move from practitioner to trainer, that sounds like a bargain ;)

Also, other trainer programs you must spend a lot of costs annually to keep your license up. You should take that into consideration as well.

09:41 pm June 23, 2019

Thanks Xander for your thoughts. 

05:54 am June 24, 2019

You are very welcome. And surely, it's just a thought

08:02 am June 24, 2019

This is also done to ensure quality. Scrum.org has really high standards regarding quality. Same with becoming SPCT (SAFe ultimate level of trainership). It's rigorous and you really have to have thorough knowledge and experience to become one. The are to many charlatans on the market that provide Scrum training, but are nowhere near the quality level of Scrum.org. I see this in my daily work life, too. People that have not been trained with the Scrum.org official trainer, can tend to have a little distorted vision of the theory Scrum.org has intended.

05:15 pm June 24, 2019

The process and costs are completely transparent and found here.  There are multiple paths that one can take and the benefits are also great.  As Sander says, we also have a strong focus on quality.  Candidates go through extensive validation and training before being able to become a PST.  If you would like to know more, I am happy to connect.

04:23 am June 26, 2019

I heard you need a score of at least 95% in PSM 1 to be a TRAINER. So can a psm 1 holder be a trainer? 

01:06 pm June 26, 2019

@Gilbert, the entire process to becoming a Professional Scrum Trainer is transparent and available here.  The short answer is yes, you need to score a 95% or better on PSM I to become a PST.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.