No experience

Last post 06:02 pm July 9, 2019
by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
Author

I am Scrum certified - PSM1. Have never worked in a Scrum or Agile environment. Nor do I know anything about software development. Just wondering what to do with my PSM1, since employers are always asking for years of experience. In what other industries could I be useful, or is all that effort wasted?

04:47 pm July 9, 2019

So, why did you take the PSM-I exam? Why did you go for getting a Scrum master certificate, if you have no idea what to do with it?

05:00 pm July 9, 2019

I am Scrum certified - PSM1. Have never worked in a Scrum or Agile environment. Nor do I know anything about software development. Just wondering what to do with my PSM1, since employers are always asking for years of experience. In what other industries could I be useful, or is all that effort wasted?

I admire your courage expressing your situation, however, I have the same question as @Xander Ladage asked. 

I could be wrong, but from my experience, opportunities for Scrum in a non-software development environment is pretty hard to come by.

What kind of experience do you have? What were you trying to accomplish when you took the certification?

05:17 pm July 9, 2019

Is there an industry in which you are experienced, where innovation is now needed?

06:02 pm July 9, 2019

I have known Scrum Masters that worked in Human Resources, Marketing, Event Planning but they are really not common.  The majority of Scrum Masters I know are working in the Software or Systems development realms.

I am also curious as to why you pursued the certification and what you hoped to accomplish by doing so.  I do applaud you for the initiative but in the interest of agility, it seems a bit like waste since you have no plans for using it and no reason for pursuing it.