Skip to main content

Person having high experience in Agile should be PO or SM ?

Last post 12:04 am August 29, 2019 by Simon Mayer
6 replies
02:46 pm August 27, 2019

02:52 pm August 27, 2019

Why?

I'd look more for people who could be a good fit for either role and have the drive to continue to learn and grow themselves. Whether you're an experienced or inexperienced PO/SM it helps to have a coach or mentor who can offer different perspectives, check your bias, and offer a helping hand. 

If they're not open to being coached then I'd question how suited they are for the role. 

04:36 pm August 27, 2019

The roles are incredibly different and require different backgrounds and skillsets. I'd suggest that having high experience in Agile (and lean) methods is independent of having high experience in product management, coaching and facilitation, or fulfilling the role of a development team.

06:14 pm August 27, 2019

Level of experience should never be the indicator when deciding between the PO and SM. Completely different skill sets and personalities are required for each role. 

10:06 pm August 27, 2019

What they said.  ^^^^^^^^

But I sense a bigger question based on this thread and your one about whether a development or QA background would be a better Scrum Master.  What is it that are really trying to determine?  Give a better question and we may be able to provide you more helpful answers.

04:44 am August 28, 2019

Thank you all for helping me with my query.

Your answers helps me in visualizing the differences in these 2 roles.

@Daniel - I came across this one liner question only, if I have scenario / situation, I will surely mention that going forward in my questions.

12:04 am August 29, 2019

I've seen a few times that you answer that you came across certain questions; but I think Daniel is trying to understand how we can best help you. Why is it that you keep coming across these questions?

Are you asking all of these questions because you're preparing for an exam? Are you preparing for potential future scenarios you may face? Are you trying to improve based on past situations you've faced?

These threads do tend to encourage interesting answers, but a bit more context about what you're trying to learn will help us help you better, and provide answers that may also be more helpful to future visitors to the forum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.