Skip to main content

Is Scrum only designed for software development projects?

Last post 12:11 am September 15, 2019 by pollard edward
6 replies
09:46 pm September 2, 2019

Hello

I have been leading a scrum team and as transformation occurred we adopted Scrum in Large size (Scrum of Scrum), now we have process improvements enhancements to track, my question is :

Is Scrum well defined for this kind of projects/ enhancements? Or should I switch to a different methodology for process improvements, can I suggest one, maybe Kanban would be good?

Thanks for clarification

Wilmer

03:47 am September 3, 2019

Have these process enhancements and improvements been agreed with the team who are expected to implement them?

09:57 am September 3, 2019

If these improvements are for a Scrum Team, the Scrum Guide addresses this. At the Sprint Retrospective, the team identifies one or more improvements that will be implemented in the next Sprint. During the Sprint Planning, at least one improvement from the previous Sprint Retrospective is part of the Sprint Backlog.

If these improvements are for the organization, I tend to use a Kanban board. In my environment with 4 Scrum Teams, I try to encourage each team to elevate the things that they cannot fully address and these things go onto a backlog that gets regularly prioritized.

In both systems, I use a special Kanban project in our issue tracking tool (Jira). Issues that one team is working on get a field set to that team so it will show up on their board views for visibility in Daily Scrum and other events. Issues that span across teams are tracked at the right level.

11:23 am September 3, 2019

If these improvements are for the organization, I tend to use a Kanban board. In my environment with 4 Scrum Teams, I try to encourage each team to elevate the things that they cannot fully address and these things go onto a backlog that gets regularly prioritized.

Who owns the workflow which is represented on the board? Is it in their power to complete each item, and do they work as a team in order to do so?

12:13 pm September 3, 2019

Who owns the workflow which is represented on the board? Is it in their power to complete each item, and do they work as a team in order to do so?

The process quality team owns the workflow. And, yes, they have the power to complete each item, working with other parts of the organization as necessary. Some things may be contained to the product development organization but stretch across team boundaries, while other things may require collaboration with other aspects of the business, all the way to corporate.

04:10 pm September 12, 2019

Thanks a lot for your recommendation, I think the hybrid Scrumban definitely helps, will try to keep a kanban board for process improvements for organizations and other for Scrum board dedicated for software development. sounds good for you?

Wilmer

07:44 am September 14, 2019

Scrum is not a project management methodology. It is a social engineering framework designed to make your team more effective. Scrum isn't for every project. Although Scrum has its origins in software development, it's been used to successfully manage many types of projects. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.