Skip to main content

Purpose of a definition of “Done”

Last post 04:54 pm September 14, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
06:16 am September 11, 2019

Controls whether the developers have performed their tasks.

Provides a template for elements that need to be included in the technical documentation.

Creates transparency over the work inspected at the Sprint Review.

Trucks the percent completeness of a Product Backlog item.

Guides the Development Team is creating a forecast at the Sprint Planning.

Defines what it takes for an Increment to be ready for release.

06:24 pm September 12, 2019

Controls whether the developers have performed their tasks.

-does it though? The DoD is used to assess when work is complete on the increment, it doesn't control anything.

Provides a template for elements that need to be included in the technical documentation.

- Why would typical DoD items like "Code has been peer reviewed" be relevant for technical documentation?

Creates transparency over the work inspected at the Sprint Review.

- I would say it "ensures transparency" instead of creating.

Tracks the percent completeness of a Product Backlog item.

- The DoD is not a metric, how does it "track" anything? The DoD is the yard stick that items are measured against in terms of being complete.

Guides the Development Team is creating a forecast at the Sprint Planning.

- I agree with this as it is a paraphrased version of what is said in the Scrum Guide

Defines what it takes for an Increment to be ready for release.

- I agree with this as it is a paraphrased version of what is said in the Scrum Guide

04:54 pm September 14, 2019

@Curtis Slough's assessment of your individual statements are spot on.  I think you have an overall misunderstanding of the Definition of Done and possibly Scrum in general. It sounds like you are trying to force command-control into a framework that is all about self-management, self-direction. I could be wrong since I only have your one set of statements as insights but that is what I read into your statements. 

The Scrum Guide refers to the Definition of Done in many places but always as a means of transparency.  The Definition of Done is identified in the section of the Guide for Artifact Transparency.  There is never any reference that I can find that indicates it is used as any kind of status or control mechanism.

My opinion is that the Purpose of the definition of "Done" is to provide a common definition that all, inside and outside of the Scrum Team, can understand in order to determine what is meant when the Scrum Team says they are "done" with this increment of product.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.