Skip to main content

Scrum Master the representative of the team at Scrum of Scrums?

Last post 05:22 pm September 24, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
03:16 pm September 24, 2019

I am not sure if it is mandatory for the Scrum Master to be the representative at a Scrum of Scrums (SoS). The reason I am trying to get clarification stems from the fact that, sometimes, Scrum Masters may not be all that technical or may not be in a position to talk much regarding the dependencies or other issues that may be discussed. My understanding is that the SoS is primarily for scrum teams in a scaled setting to discuss dependencies, integration issues, and general overall progress. I believe the Scrum Master should be present at a SoS along with a representation from the respective team that is capable of holding that conversation. Again if the Daily Scrum is for the Development Team, then shouldn't the SoS also be for a Development Team representative and not for the Scrum Master (s)

What are your thoughts?

03:20 pm September 24, 2019

Would you agree that the Scrum Master would still provide a service to the SOS group by ensuring they understand it's purpose, have the SOS, and keep to the time box? 

05:22 pm September 24, 2019

My understanding is that the SoS is primarily for scrum teams in a scaled setting to discuss dependencies, integration issues, and general overall progress

That’s one possibility. Another would be an SoS for agile adoption across the enterprise, which might reasonably involve Scrum Masters.

There’s no real consistency in the use of the term “Scrum of Scrums”. To succeed with an SoS it is important to be quite clear about what its purpose is, otherwise attendance will fizzle out.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.