Skip to main content

Empirical process control example?

Last post 02:15 pm October 1, 2019 by Aditya Vaze
9 replies
05:50 am September 26, 2019

Can you give an example of empirical process control (not in software)?  I am looking for a real example.   We can look at a process and see that it is empirical.  What I am interested in is an industrial example (non-software) where participants consciously use an empirical approach.

--

In Ken Schwaber's first book, I think he had mentioned someone explaining the idea of empirical process control to him.  What industry was that person from?

01:35 pm September 26, 2019

Here is a case study for example that has nothing to do with software.  It is using Scrum in marketing.  https://www.scrum.org/resources/avanade-uses-agile-accelerate-its-digital-and-business-transformation

There are many, many other examples including in oil drilling, medical devices, education, engineering and much more. I believe that Ken's example in his book was chemical engineering at Dupont.

02:24 pm September 26, 2019

Can you give an example of empirical process control (not in software)?  I am looking for a real example.   We can look at a process and see that it is empirical.  What I am interested in is an industrial example (non-software) where participants consciously use an empirical approach.

Using the rate of demand to control the rate of production is perhaps the most elementary business case for EPC. You might refer to Gigli's use of Period Batch Control for aircraft production in the 1940's. This influenced lean and kanban developments in the automotive industry which in turn influenced Scrum.

01:27 am September 27, 2019

@Eric

Thanks for that example. However, I think that uses scrum.  I was looking for examples from manufacturing or other before scrum.  

04:23 pm September 27, 2019

They use Scrum now, but didn't before.  Read the Toyota Way maybe as another great example of before Scrum and they use it now and how it has come together as an example.

04:55 pm September 27, 2019

There are a lot of well-known cases for empirical process control.

Try to look up the following cases.

Small Scale:

1. Texas Nameplate Company Inc. 

2. MEDRAD

Medium Scale:

1. Poudre Valley Health System

2. MESA Products Inc.

Large Scale:

1. Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control

2. Bosch Bari Plant Case.

I hope you find what you are looking for in these cases. Please note, all these cases highlight the importance of empirical process control. However, the intended outcome in each of these cases is significantly different, except they all are aimed towards improving the quality and value of the product and the organization. I will try to update the list on a later date. 

09:03 am September 28, 2019

Aditya,

If you get a chance can you provide some links.  I tried searching, but it's difficult with just the name of the company.

Thanks,

09:22 pm September 30, 2019

I have an awesome example of how people use empiricism in their everyday lives.  Say I have a meeting across town, and I know how to get there, but I check my Google Maps for traffic.  This is the inspection.  It tells me to go a different route that is faster and I take that route.  This is the adaptation.

09:26 pm September 30, 2019

Eric - I just saw your comment.  I am reading The Toyota Way right now, just started it this morning.  It was recommended to me by Michael McCullough last week when I was at his PSPO class.  Really enjoying it so far on my long commute to and from work!  

02:15 pm October 1, 2019

Hi Nilan(jan)? B,

You may be able to find these in a book titled "Managing for Quality and Performance Excellence" authored by James R. Evans and William M. Lindsay in 10th edition. Overall, I suggest this book for anyone who wants to understand core principles, philosophies, frameworks, and methodologies that the made evolution of agile and Scrum possible. 

Additionally, I will also recommend "Out of the Crisis" by W. Edwards Deming. In my opinion, this book provides great insights regarding the empirical process control and how to adapt it in a day to day practice.

Thanks 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.