Skip to main content

Backlog Prioritization

Last post 04:19 pm October 23, 2019 by Tony Divel
1 reply
03:46 pm October 23, 2019

I've been reading Mike Cohn's book on Agile Estimating and Planning, and he discusses different types of prioritization:

• Prioritizing themes (based on Value, Cost, New Knowledge and Risk)
  • Financial prioritization (Revenue, ROI etc...)
  • Prioritizing desirability (Kano)

I'm assuming prioritizing desirability could also have included MoSCoW?

He doesn't really explain if these should all be used together, or if you should choose one type of prioritization, or if you should just chose the ones that fit your product.

Also, is it a case of choosing between Kano and MoSCow? I'm assuming you can't use both together.

Also, I'm assuming all of the "must haves" pretty much form you MVP, since you're saying you you don't have a viable product without the must haves?

04:19 pm October 23, 2019

Say I'm choosing the MoSCow method - how does one decide what is a Must have? Should have? 

This could be determined by prioritizing against Value, ROI, Themes, Risk, etc. 

That approach ends up being a combination of what you have stated above. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.