Skip to main content

Role as the Scrum Master

Last post 12:33 pm November 25, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
01:23 pm November 21, 2019

Hi guys,

im going to take over the role as the scrum master in my company.

If we assume that im familiar with the basic methodology of the scrum master construct, what should be my first steps for being the new scrum master?

Looking forward to all your help and ideas,

have a nice day.

(sorry for my english, im not a native speaker)

05:23 pm November 21, 2019

Begin with reviewing the Scrum Guide. It's not enough to be familiar with the Scrum Master role only. You should be able to identify which behaviors and responsibilities belong to the Product Owner and Dev Team, so that the Scrum Team can obtain the benefits and purpose of Scrum. 

I've always found that being a servant-leader for your team is critical. That enables you to use the Scrum Guide as a source of truth for the entire Scrum implementation and help you know when to coach, when to teach, when to mentor, and when to support innovative change.

08:44 pm November 21, 2019

You are in charge of some very basic things and some very abstract things. 

Lets start with the basics:

• Make sure your team does the stand up. Do it at the same time every day. 15 minutes. That's it. If they don't so this basic thing, "help" them understand why. 
  • Scrum Events: Retro, Planning, Review. Make sure they do these. 
  • Respect and conflict resolution. If a team cant communicate, it gets way tougher. 

Abstract:

• There are situations where you dont know if you should lead or serve. 
  • You want to help more but you need to "stay in your lane".
  • Some say to conduct one-on-one's and get coffee for the devs. Up to you and the team if thats your job. 
  • PO has final say, devs have final say. Besides scrum ceremonies, you dont have much say. 
  • Established teams at a company may do extra work outside of scope. An owner of a dev shop may switch stuff up mid-scrum. 

All situations are different. Do your best, respect your team and create awesome software for the client!

Good luck!

06:39 am November 22, 2019

Thank you for your answers!

I forgot to say, Scrum is already being lived here, not by 100%, but close to that.

Any Ideas here for a "newbie"? :-)

12:40 pm November 23, 2019

I forgot to say, Scrum is already being lived here, not by 100%, but close to that.

Be careful with this. Sometimes doing Scrum correctly can be difficult. If you take away bits of Scrum, you might find it easier, but perhaps you are ignoring a big problem in your company that you need to solve.

It's similar to feeling pain in your body.

Imagine you are walking, and one of your knees hurts. You have a choice:

• You could go to a doctor to understand what is wrong, or
  • You can take medication to stop the pain

The second option may seem to be OK, but because it stops the symptoms without understanding the real problem, maybe your knee will keep getting worse and worse without you knowing, until too much damage is done.

----

As general preparation, I suggest you keep reading the Scrum Guide, and when you find something that doesn't make sense to you, look for answers online, or if you know any other Scrum Masters, talk to them about it.

Also feel free to come back here and ask questions.

----

I recommend you watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2Tl82fcXQ

In case you prefer to read, rather than watch the video, Barry Overeem has also written a whitepaper on the same subject: http://www.barryovereem.com/wp-content/uploads/The-8-Stances-of-a-Scrum…

12:33 pm November 25, 2019

Any Ideas here for a "newbie"? :-)

What do you think about that gap? What are your thoughts about how to make it transparent, along with its likely consequences for whether the benefits of Scrum are realized?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.