Skip to main content

Scrum team false estimation

Last post 03:10 pm December 10, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
6 replies
03:35 pm December 8, 2019

In my scrum team I often observe that the developers give false estimates of tasks.  First they mutually agree on a larger story point for a story and then they allocate longer hours to the tasks.

There is constant pressure from the managers that the team has more capacity to deliver than the commitments that they are making. Management blames me for my team being lazy.

How do I deal with this problem and make my team make sensible sprint estimates?

04:57 am December 9, 2019

@Shafaq Haroon, It looks like there is  an absence of trust in your team. Have you tried to find out why and perhaps the cause?

How do the managers know if the Development Team has more capacity? Are they doing the work too? Is the Development Team empowered to voice out their concerns or are they being commanded to do something without any consideration as to whether is sustainable?

There may not be a silver bullet solution to your situation. You may want to start by restoring transparency and also the trust.

05:43 am December 9, 2019

There is constant pressure from the managers that the team has more capacity to deliver than the commitments that they are making

Do you think this interaction with the team is helpful or unhelpful?

12:15 pm December 9, 2019

There is constant pressure from the managers that the team has more capacity to deliver than the commitments that they are making. Management blames me for my team being lazy.

What evidence is indicating that team can deliver more than they plan to deliver?

First they mutually agree on a larger story point for a story and then they allocate longer hours to the tasks.

Is the team just over cautious about the Goal they plan ? Are there good enough reasons for their agreement on the size of the stories? What is the relevance of comparing the size of the story with the hours spent on their tasks? 

02:24 pm December 9, 2019

What's the current level of self-organization?

09:55 pm December 9, 2019

You mention "false estimate", "larger story points", and "longer hours".

This implies you know there is an alternative number that "true" and "smaller".

What makes you think their estimates are false or too large?

An estimate is a guess based on information known at the time. We don't compare "estimates v actuals" and we don't track time spent on work as they are unhelpful activities. So, if the development team says this is their estimate, we (mostly) should not question them on it.

03:10 pm December 10, 2019

Management blames me for my team being lazy.   How do I deal with this problem and make my team make sensible sprint estimates?

What evidence do you have to indicate that your management's expectations are 'sensible'?

How does your management's behavior support any of the 5 Scrum values of Focus, Openness, Respect, Courage, or Commitment?   If it doesn't, what types of behavior would support Scrum values?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.