Skip to main content

Scrum, Projects & Products

Last post 12:14 am December 14, 2019 by Mark Adams
4 replies
10:23 pm December 13, 2019

Why does the scrum guide talk about Products and not about Projects? Is it because a Project may span across multiple Products and therefore there will be a lot of context switching? If a Project is for a single Product would it make a difference? Can projects not exist around Scrum? If yes, what are those boundaries?

10:31 pm December 13, 2019

If I recall, a "Project" is a temporary endeavor with a defined end date, while a "Product" is a valuable service or item that exists up until it no longer makes business sense to maintain or support.

10:31 pm December 13, 2019

Why does the scrum guide talk about Products and not about Projects?

It does. The Scrum Guide says: "Each Sprint may be considered a project with no more than a one-month horizon. Like projects, Sprints are used to accomplish something."

See also "Projects and Products in Scrum": https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/projects-and-products-scrum

11:31 pm December 13, 2019

It does. The Scrum Guide says: "Each Sprint may be considered a project with no more than a one-month horizon. Like projects, Sprints are used to accomplish something.

@Ian Mitchell, I guess I should've articulated it as Scrum is more product focused, but after reading your article I think I kind of understand the message.

What I understood was that, rather than focusing too much on the long term, focus on the short term and through empiricism keep developing as needed. In this manner each Sprint can be considered a project and multiple Sprints may be equated to the traditional project. The focus of each Sprint therefore becomes a potentially releasable Increment (of that Product) or whatever was trying to be achieved.

Have I understood that correct?

12:14 am December 14, 2019

I'll go further and say that Project Managers are obsessively focused on time, budget and scope, whereas Product Managers/Product Owners are obsessively focused on the customer.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.