Skip to main content

the value of the stories of broken down epics

Last post 04:44 pm January 6, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
10:52 am January 6, 2020

I read that one of the differences between epics and user stories is that epic doesn't add value until all user stories are done and the workflow of the epic is complete

example

epic :

“As a salesperson, I’d like to set my password, so I can log into the system.“

after breaking down :

As an Administrator, I’d like to send an email to a new salesperson containing a tokenized access link, so they may temporarily access the system in order to set their password.

As a Salesperson, I’d like to edit my profile, so I may set my password.

As an Administrator, I’d like to ensure that all salespeople’s passwords meet corporate strength requirements, so I can harden access to the system.

so how each of the broken down stories meet the "valuable" part in INVEST criteria ? and the value cannot be reached without completing the whole workflow?!

03:33 pm January 6, 2020

I would say stop focusing so much on the difference between an Epic and User Story. All these are buckets/folders for organization. Neither are prescribed in Scrum as Scrum focuses on Backlog Items and allows teams to decide how to organize them. What value are you getting from focusing on the backlog item types of Epic versus Story? 

04:44 pm January 6, 2020

I second @Curtis Slough's opinion. All you really need is an item in your Product Backlog that satisfies these criteria taken from the Scrum Guide.

Product Backlog items have the attributes of a description, order, estimate, and value. Product Backlog items often include test descriptions that will prove its completeness when "Done".

How you do that is up to you but focusing too much on the mechanics of it can be counter productive.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.