Skip to main content

New Scrum Master

Last post 06:57 pm January 7, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
11:44 pm January 6, 2020

Hello everyone,

My question is not directly related but It will surely lead my way to Scrum Master role.

So, I am asking the question here, as I want to handle and move on with transition and further project as a step towards getting Scrum Master role for this project. 

I will be a new Scrum Master(both new in this role and this team). 

Background:

The team had a deadline of delivering on 1st December 2019 but they delivered partially (still development is going on) and plan was to move the project from implementation phase to support phase after December.

But now support phase will start from March 2020.

Previous team tried to follow Agile but failed and new support team(will have new enhancements and defects) will be Agile Scrum team.

The project team don't have any BA just few Senior SME's driving the business and technical requirements.

I will be stepping into Scrum Master role after 13 years of development(including 6 years as Scrum Team Developer)

But my manager has assigned me the responsibility to take over and have all the knowledge regarding current project before I step into Scrum Master Role for Enhancements and Maintenance of same project.

During my transitioning to this role, I've read a lot of threads/articles (and already possess CSM Certification in 2016 but then due to some circumstances never opted for SM role)

Future Proposed Plan for team:

-Consists of 8 members (including PO, BA and SM)

- Planning to get one SME, one Dev and one Test resource from previous project.

As a first step, I have started to know the existing team, project, resources in that team.

Need guidance on how to handle the transition phase and provide value as being a Scrum Master.

Any initial documents for example team structure, project transition document that I should create.

Or

more appropriately how to handle the project transition smoothly which can proof that I can be a good Scrum Master(before this opportunity I have been into the dungeon of developers world and interacted with very few people - so new roles/responsibilities)

I'm very new so I'm very overwhelmed and not sure what should I tackle first. 

Appreciate any advice on this.

Regards,

Harry

09:14 am January 7, 2020

Previous team tried to follow Agile but failed and new support team(will have new enhancements and defects) will be Agile Scrum team.

Why did this fail? What lessons have been learned?

02:22 pm January 7, 2020

But my manager has assigned me the responsibility to take over and have all the knowledge regarding current project before I step into Scrum Master Role 

Why does your manager believe this is something required of a Scrum Master?   What Scrum role do you believe this responsibility falls under?

how to handle the project transition smoothly which can proof that I can be a good Scrum Master

Why do you believe "project transition" is something required by a Scrum Master, in order to demonstrate their value?   What else can a Scrum Master do to demonstrate their value?

06:57 pm January 7, 2020

Need guidance on how to handle the transition phase and provide value as being a Scrum Master.

Any initial documents for example team structure, project transition document that I should create.

My guidance is that as a Scrum Master it is not your responsibility to create a team structure. You help facilitate the self organization of a Scrum Team, as expressed in the Scrum Guide, of individuals filling the roles of Product Owner, Scrum Master and Development Team members.  And even then you are only responsible for identifying the Scrum Master.  The rest should be self organized.  Project Transition is also a moot point. You aren't transitioning a project. You are coaching the Product Owner on the creation of a Product Backlog and facilitating the knowledge transfer of those items to the Development Team so that work can be undertaken. 

Consists of 8 members (including PO, BA and SM)

Where in the Scrum Guide does it specifically mention a Business Analyst?  If one is needed or desired by the Development Team then that individual is part of the said Development Team. 

I suggest that you read and reread the Scrum Guide (found here in it's entirety https://scrumguides.org/)  in it's entirety frequently. As you start working in the Scrum Master role you will start to better understand and appreciate the contents. Remember that Scrum is a framework and not a process. It does not explicitly tell you how to do things, that is up to your team to decide. Yes I said team not a specific individual. 

One more thing and yes it is nitpicky but I feel it needs to be clarified.  There is no such thing as an Agile Team or Agile Scrum Team.  There are agile teams and agile Scrum teams. Agile is an adjective or adverb and not a proper noun. It should only be capitalized when it is the first word of a sentence or part of a company/product name. Taking some poetic license with the definition of agile means that something is nimble, able to move/change quickly, reactive to it's surroundings.  Software development teams that are agile are able to quickly adapt to changing conditions and deliver their work.  Much like a sports star playing Soccer, American Football, Basketball.  The athlete knows what the ultimate goal of their efforts should yield, understands how execute and is able to adapt to the changing conditions around them to deliver on their goal. Don't try to force process or actions on a team in the name of "Agile".  Let the team decide what they need to do in order to deliver their goals. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.