Skip to main content

On the way to the Scrum

Last post 07:22 pm January 7, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
03:36 pm January 7, 2020

Hi, just after some advice really.

I am a Lean Champion working in the third sector, responsible for embedding Lean  and agile ways of working in the organisation. I have been thinking a lot about  the role of the Scrum Master and the under pinnings of Scrum. I find the scrum philosophy very appealling and feel that I could get behind it career wise.

Question: how do I get from Lean to Scrum? any advice welcome.

05:18 pm January 7, 2020

I find the scrum philosophy very appealling

What do you understand of the Scrum philosophy regarding:

• empirical process control, and
  • the development of complex products under conditions of high uncertainty?

How does this philosophy differ from the lean way-of-working you currently champion? In what respects is it similar?

07:22 pm January 7, 2020

I'm not sure you "get from Lean to Scrum".  I actually feel that they are mutually inclusive and work extremely well together. I suggest you read the Scrum Guide many times.  Each time I read it I discover something new.  Also take the free assessments available from scrum.org. Read through posts, new and old, in this forum because there have been many mentions of Lean techniques in regards to using the Scrum framework. I think that you will find that your Lean knowledge will help you. 

Don't view this as learning something totally new. If you are already championing agile ways of working then becoming familiar with Scrum is just more of the same.  Would you say that Lean and Kanban are two completely different things? Lean and XP? They are all just techniques and tools used to help teams be more capable of reacting to changes to the environments in which they work. 

That is my opinion and most likely will not represent everyone that will post in this thread.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.