Skip to main content

Program: Buy versus Build

Last post 05:25 pm February 6, 2020 by Paul Fiala
3 replies
05:16 pm January 31, 2020

Our organization is going through the process of trying to determine whether a multi-year deliverable should be bought from a vendor or built internally.     The result so far is it is looking more and more like a waterfall approach with deadlines and costs/resource ramp-ups being estimated.    Has anyone run into a paper or presentation on how this decision might be made that reflects more of an agile approach?

11:14 pm January 31, 2020

I don't recall reading any authoritative sources on this subject, but I do have some thoughts.

The act of making a build or buy decision is a good thing to do. However, when evaluating the costs of building, you should consider the methods by which you will perform the build action. One of the advantages of the agile methods is in iterative and incremental development. Although with buying, you can get more benefits faster, one of the things that you don't know is if you truly need all of the things that you are buying. You may find that you can build and deploy a "good enough" solution without satisfying all of the requirements and spend far less than you would with buying. Alternatively, you may realize that you really need all of the things and the build process may take longer.

There are so many factors, from the ability of the purchased product to be customized and integrated with other solutions, the stability of the integration points, the competencies of the developers, the stability of the requirements, the tolerance for risk and more. It's definitely not an easy decision. But in the end its a risk management activity - where are the biggest risks and how do you want to mitigate them?

03:09 am February 1, 2020

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I have advised companies to go with popular vendor software for service ticket management, CRM and publishing. Personally, I think building out a software development team is very expensive and messy. You may end up with the wrong people or build a bad product. Working with vendors helps outsource a lot of that and you're in the driver's seat. Faster time-to-market. Nothing is perfect. But here's an analogy. How many people do you know who have had their homes custom built rather than buy a home from a builder?

05:25 pm February 6, 2020

Thanks for your time and thoughts.    I hear what you are saying.   

The ultimate issue I see is, if build is the decision, it then gets measured based on a time, cost and function expectation.   That starts to feel less "agile", but I can't find an agile like model of how it could be approached. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.