Skip to main content

Baseline of engineering productivity

Last post 04:26 pm February 4, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
11:39 am February 4, 2020

We need to measure and document a baseline for engineering productivity that can further be used to increase performance and reduce hindrance and blockers. Wanted to discuss what metrics and KPIs we can use for scrum teams for individual performance measurement especially with the help of Jira.

01:47 pm February 4, 2020

This post raises a million questions. 

Who is we?

Aren't Scrum Teams supposed to be in charge of their own productivity/self-organizating? 

Isn't JIRA supposed to be a tool, rather than a leading thing?

02:24 pm February 4, 2020

We need to measure and document a baseline for engineering productivity that can further be used to increase performance and reduce hindrance and blockers. Wanted to discuss what metrics and KPIs we can use for scrum teams for individual performance measurement especially with the help of Jira.

How does your Product Owner currently account for value to stakeholders?

04:26 pm February 4, 2020

We need to measure and document a baseline for engineering productivity that can further be used to increase performance and reduce hindrance and blockers. 

Even if I thought this was a good idea I do not see how any kind of productivity baseline could be used to reduce hindrance and blockers.  If you have an example please share.

Joining with @Sander Dur and @Ian Mitchell I encourage you to look less at productivity and focus on the value being delivered.  The purpose of Scrum, and agile in principal, isn't to be more productive but to be more focused on working on the right things.  Focusing your work on the right problems will ensure that the money spent to pay for the work will return value quicker.  I can be really productive by never looking at a website while I am at work for 10 hours a day where I write 500 lines of new code and modify 250 other lines but never actually produce anything worth delivering to an user.  Many of the "productivity metrics" will focus on areas where you can get a number and most of those areas will provide a false sense of accomplishment.  Focus on the users.  Do they use the product? Do they like the product? Does the product do the work that they need it to do? Are you able to get new users? Is your user base expanding? Those kind of metrics provide better information than how many lines of code a developer produces.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.