Skip to main content

How Agile is different from Scrum?

Last post 04:33 pm February 6, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
5 replies
11:51 am February 5, 2020

Hi folks,

I have a query in regards to how agile is different from a scrum. But we use this term in the same way and together. I have confused between those terms,please tell me the exact difference between them.

01:20 am February 6, 2020

Agile = ICE CREAM

• Scrum = Chocolate
  • Lean = Strawberry
  • Kanban = Rum & Raisins
  • and so on...

Point being - all these flavours fall under one umbrella which we call Agile.

Also, Agile is a mindset - either you are agile or your are not. You don't do agile. However, you can implement Scrum, Kanban, Crystal, DSDM or any of these frameworks.

Hope it helps!

02:04 am February 6, 2020

@adwait vaidya, I like the way you describe using ice cream as an example!

05:12 am February 6, 2020

@adwait vaidya. Wao, I like the way to describing this and thank you so much.

01:06 pm February 6, 2020

It's 2020 and feel its about time we stop saying "Agile Scrum Master".  Scrum (early 90s) was co-created by Ken Schwaber and Jeff Sutherland several years before the Manifesto for Agile Software Development (2001). In the 90's there were other frameworks as well, such as XP and Crystal. These were called the lightweight methods. In 2001 the creators of these methods got together at Snowbird to create the Manifesto for Agile Software Development.

Agile is a set of values and principles, some say it is a mindset. One definition we use in PSM course is "an organization's ability to harness change for its competitive advantage".

Scrum is just one of many frameworks under the Agile umbrella. Scrum is the most widely know and used framework of all the lightweight methods.

04:33 pm February 6, 2020

agile is a verb or adjective.  Scrum is a noun.  

Being agile is a characteristic of an organization that alludes to the ability to quickly adapt to change.  Scrum is a framework used by groups to work on complex problems with a level of discipline to aid in the continuous delivery and feedback needed in order to be agile about the work. 

I do like the ice cream analogy. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.