Skip to main content

Content over tools

Last post 01:53 pm February 12, 2020 by Stephen Sykes
4 replies
07:13 am February 12, 2020

Hey everyone, 

I thought I would write a small thing that I learnt that really helped my Scrum Team.  Like many teams we use Jira, and our Daily Scrum became an exercise where the teams would just move items from one column to another without really using it as an opportunity to inspect and adapt.

We (the Scrum Team) decided in the Retrospective, to run a test and have the Daily Scrum without using the Jira board, and so far it has absolutely worked, as the conversation has focussed on what the Development Team thinks are the important areas of discussion instead of a box ticking exercise of Product Backlog Item finished or not.

I know it is a small thing, but as we say in the UK, look after the pennies, and the pounds will look after you. 

09:00 am February 12, 2020

Using a Daily Scrum to "catch up" with board updates is arguably an anti-pattern. It implies that prior to this event, the board was not telling the truth. One of the steps in gaining agile maturity can be transitioning to what teams sometimes refer to as a "live" board, which is really just one that is updated collaboratively throughout the day. This can initially lead to uncertainty...team members may wonder, "what is the purpose of the Daily Scrum if it isn't to update a board?" There is then a coaching opportunity to refocus each Daily Scrum on forward planning and on meeting the Sprint Goal.

12:23 pm February 12, 2020

Hi Ian, 

Live board is where we are at now, but to be honest the team sees the Daily Scrum as even more useful now as it can focus on the Sprint Goal (as you said), but also on removing impediments and reducing dependancies within the team. 

It is a small thing, but has had a really good affect.

01:44 pm February 12, 2020

Good stuff, Stephen, awesome that you share your improvement experience with the community! 

01:53 pm February 12, 2020

Thanks Sander, 

We are all inspecting and adapting here. As I said before, sometimes little things have a big impact. Add all those little things up, and they make to a big change!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.