Skip to main content

Product owner

Last post 04:06 pm February 26, 2020 by Shrinivas Lahase
6 replies
03:42 pm February 24, 2020

The scrum master decided to resign for his position. He thinks that he encountered injustice in the company. After he resigns, the head of the organization decided to assign a new Scrum master. Despite the good competencies and communication skills of the new Scrum Master, the development team strongly against to new Scrum master. They note that former scrum master might be very well to work with. So, they would generate more benefits.

In this case, what should a new scrum master do?

04:07 pm February 24, 2020

It doesn't seem they have the option of going with their old Scrum Master since they resigned. Has the Development Team voiced the reasons for their resistance to a new Scrum Master other than 'we'd rather have the old one?" 

It seems some resistance management may be in order...or perhaps the new Scrum Master truly isn't a good fit for the team. 

04:13 pm February 24, 2020

I would say that there is something fishy.

If the Scrum Master is good, why would people, even of they are not friends with him like the other one, refuse working with him? this is a professionnal context not a friend context.

Maybe if I were in this casen I would try to have an open discussion to see what I would lack and what they expect, and also what I could do for them. A healthy discussion is always useful.

02:57 am February 25, 2020

re: "In this case, what should a new scrum master do?"

Be an even more effective servant leader. Help the team clear blockages, be a supportive coach and in general make it clear that support of the team is important to them.

Respect the team's grieving if that's what is happening. If they were close to the old scrum master then this whole thing may have been very shocking for them.

"People need to know you care before they care what you know" - Theodore Roosevelt (according to a quick google search)

07:03 am February 25, 2020

Indeed, the SM should put much effort in the servant leadership role. Show the team the SM cares for them.

Important part could be to sit with the team and ask them straight out what the grieving is all about and what strong / positive factors they have for wanting the "old SM". If the new SM knows what they like, there is a good change the SM can give it to them. Next to that, in general (given your story) I think the SM should make transparent he or she is not the strategic management pawn in a cheated chess game, but a person separate from the previous problems. (unless this is not true of course ;)) 

01:48 pm February 26, 2020

Always Keep in mind  "To change the system you have to be in system" . Discuss the current methodology suggestion and way of working with Development team. Get familiar with current nature of work, Adapt it for one sprint put your observation in front of team and convince team for improvements.

01:58 pm February 26, 2020

Always Understand "To change the system you have to be in system". Gather inputs from Development team on current way of working, Adapt it for one sprint gather your observations and Convince team for improvements along with value additions. With another view Keep aside the experience and try to look at the current work culture with fresh mind, might be for the product current way of working is the best way and in this case new SM will have to adapt and understand the best practices of previous SM.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.