Skip to main content

UX should be part of the sprint or work ahead with PO refining stories?

Last post 12:48 pm February 29, 2020 by Simon Mayer
4 replies
03:30 am February 27, 2020

Hi guys,

The team I'm working with now want to create specific stories for UX/UI because they are driving interview with the end users before delivering those to BAs so they can write the real stories... how do you usually handle it? Are UI / UX stories handled inside the sprint (together with development), or they are worked ahead with POs?

In this case, do they create specific stories for  UI/UX?

Thanks,

Ciro

05:06 am February 27, 2020

The team I'm working with now want to create specific stories for UX/UI because they are driving interview with the end users before delivering those to BAs so they can write the real stories... 

Why write a story that isn’t real? Why must that work take the form of a story at all?

09:41 am February 27, 2020

From my perspective you should use only one backlog, dev team and ux professionals in the same scrum team. In the LEAN UX book by Jeff Gothelf explains how to do that and handle UX stories with different length to the sprint etcetera.

Think, both have same purpose add value to the customer. In different teams add complexity in the communication, waste will be increased.

07:26 pm February 27, 2020

To me those UX interviews sound like refinement activities and those activities aren't items placed in the Product Backlog.  They are done as needed in order to provide clarity to the items that are in the Product Backlog.  The Scrum Guide section on the Product Backlog starts with :

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. 

Are these user interviews work that needs to be done to the product or are they just tasks that need to be done in order to provide clarity to work that needs to be done to the product. 

Sounds to me that they are trying to make the backlogs the same as a task list.  

12:48 pm February 29, 2020

UX activities could often be expressed as experiments to be validated by the Development Team; in which case it might make sense to have them as items on the Product Backlog.

The team I'm working with now want to create specific stories for UX/UI because they are driving interview with the end users before delivering those to BAs so they can write the real stories...

Who is doing this type of work, and are they considered part of the Development Team? Is the BA part of the Development Team?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.