Skip to main content

Seeking Advice

Last post 06:58 pm March 3, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
11:27 pm February 27, 2020

I work in higher education. Our former CIO decided to re-org, setting us up to be more agile. My position changed from IT project coordinator to product experience owner focusing on student experiences. This is essentially sprinklings of product owner, project management, portfolio management, and business relationship management responsibilities in one position. I'm excited to dive in and learn whatever I can to help drive change on our campus, but I also want to be intentional with my experiences for my own professional development? Any advice, recommendations, resources, etc.? 

12:37 am February 29, 2020

Sounds like this is a great hybrid role between a Product Owner and a Customer Experience Consultant. You should start attending in-person certification trainings with Scrum.org and other Agile certification organizations. You will learn a lot from in-person trainings from your instructor and your peers. Look at both Product Owner and UI UX certifications from Agile organizations. Also have your company sponsor you for Agile conferences. There a few large ones organized by the Agile certification bodies and is always a learning opportunity for me.

12:31 pm February 29, 2020

Our former CIO decided to re-org, setting us up to be more agile.

What concrete changes have taken place in the organization, apart from renaming job titles and adjusting the responsibilities of you and others?

Your answer would most likely affect the kind of advice you receive.

03:09 am March 2, 2020

We had in our company position like this, but to answer for your question I need to clarify, does your new position relates to Scrum or not?

06:58 pm March 3, 2020

Our former CIO decided to re-org, setting us up to be more agile. My position changed from IT project coordinator to product experience owner focusing on student experiences. 

Is the former CIO still clearly accountable for that decision?

Does it allow you to be clearly accountable for defining and maximizing product value?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.