Skip to main content

Role of a BA with Scrum

Last post 03:45 pm March 5, 2020 by Ekta Gupta
7 replies
02:01 pm February 28, 2020

My company transitioned to a full Scrum environment last year as part of an overall SAFe implementation.  Therefore, each team has a traditional Scrum Product Owner, and those POs work with the SAFe Product Managers (PM) to define and prioritize the overall Program Backlog, and the Product Backlogs for each team.  We are now planning to hire several Business Analysts, to work with the POs and PMs.  I’m concerned that we already have some confusion at the team level about who really manages the product backlog for the team – is it the Product Owner or the Product Manager?  Now we’re going to throw Business Analysts into the mix, and neither Scrum nor SAFe have a clearly defined role for a BA.

I’ve heard two possible approaches for utilizing the BAs.  One is as a sort of “assistant” to the POs, doing most of the in-depth research and User Story writing at the team level.  Another approach is for the BA to focus on large, significant initiatives in advance of giving it to the teams, those that require a lot  UI design and/or input and approval from our C-level management (which can take a long time).  In effect, they would write traditional requirements docs, that, when completed, would be given to the PMs/POs to break into features and user stories, ultimately ending up in team backlogs.

Has anyone seen a successful implementation of using BAs in conjunction with Product Owners, and perhaps even Product Managers?  If so, what was the actual role of the BA?  How well were you able to keep the team-level focus on the Product Owner as the “single voice” for their backlog?

02:26 pm February 28, 2020

A Scrum Team should have all the skills required to create a "Done", potentially releasable increment. Maybe that means that BA skills are needed within the Dev Team. Maybe it is not per se a skills needed to create a "Done" increment, but still the P.O. gets information to make a well-balanced order in the Product Backlog based on people that have roles like BA. 

Regarding the separation of Scrum and SAFe, the is one rule when scaling; 1 product, 1 product backlog, 1 Product Owner. Looking at SAFe, the Product Manager role is ultimately the Product Owner, where the Product Owner of the "Agile Teams" are proxies and are semi-intermediaries to the Dev Teams and PM. Not per se pragmatic but there you go.

12:32 am February 29, 2020

Depends on which configuration of SAFe your company is implementing. In SAFe the Product Owner is not the decision maker on the product. In a Full SAFe configuration, at the Portfolio level, the Epic Owner is the CEO of the Product. Whatever you have stated for the role of the BA is what I have seen so you are accurate in your assumptions on their role in SAFe.

06:05 pm March 3, 2020

We are now planning to hire several Business Analysts, to work with the POs and PMs.

Who is planning to do this, and why? Is it the plan of a self-organizing Scrum Team, whose members recognize they lack appropriate business analysis skills? What problem is being solved?

08:03 pm March 3, 2020

Who is planning to do this, and why? Is it the plan of a self-organizing Scrum Team, whose members recognize they lack appropriate business analysis skills? What problem is being solved?

The management structure that some of the Product Managers and all of the Product Owners report to are doing this.  There was no request from the teams that I am aware of, nor was there really input into if it was needed or not.   As for the problem being solved, I think it's related to the Product Owners not having sufficient time to work with the business and research requirements/user stories.

09:49 am March 4, 2020

As for the problem being solved, I think it's related to the Product Owners not having sufficient time to work with the business and research requirements/user stories.

That is a problem which I understand that needs to be resolved, but it is not a problem found or solved at team level, right? If the POs / PMs are being helped by hiring BA, perfect, but non of your concern, right?

I’m concerned that we already have some confusion at the team level about who really manages the product backlog for the team

There can be no such confusion for the team, it is the PO. (period) You say there is a "full Scrum environment", so this can only be a no-brainer.

One is as a sort of “assistant” to the POs, doing most of the in-depth research and User Story writing at the team level.

This is what happens at my current assignment as well. They are present at the refinement meetings (PO as well) and help with writing the PBIs indeed

07:57 pm March 4, 2020

I agree with Ian's answer here. from my experience, adding a layer (Like BA) calls for loss of information + more meetings + Filling backlog with important and non-important stories. We are inviting rework here and are also compromising on Just-In-Time projects. Management level thinks that since we have resources who can type things for the development team- we tend to accept more work from business. 

03:45 pm March 5, 2020

In my experience if we let BA work with team and it consumed lot of their time. Our requirements were not at single place and not even not consistent across the sources as well. Hence dev team had to jusggle around a lot figuring out what was the true source of requirement and then data proofing , cleaning all has to get done before you put this thibgs in real system. I never got BA with us however I see a benefit of adding it: 

1) Get the clean requirements and make the messy one clean. 

2) assist PO in clearing defining backlog. 

I think I like the idea of BA working with PO rather than with dev team . 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.