Skip to main content

I'm not allowed to use a pen and paper..

Last post 12:04 am March 4, 2020 by Thomas Owens
3 replies
11:33 am March 3, 2020

So I've been brought into a new role as a junior scrum master. I'm the only scrum master this place has hired/have worked for them. They prohibit the use of pens and paper documentation being created because of ISO policies that don't allow for paper records. 

This is my 2nd day so far, as I'm aware when it comes to any form of meetings and discussions and conversations there isn't anyone to take notes or no form of taking notes part the electronic pads that you can press the button to erase the contents. These things generally fill up quickly and even then they're sparse around the office space. We also don't operate on laptops it's purely desktop computers.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts about how to get around this issue? I can't really picture planning being easy when I can't necessarily write up any kind of agreements and talks between team without someone keeping note of it or just "keeping it in their head".

04:54 pm March 3, 2020

Would they allow you to use a rocketbook? https://getrocketbook.com/pages/how-it-works

08:47 pm March 3, 2020

So I've been brought into a new role as a junior scrum master. I'm the only scrum master this place has hired/have worked for them. They prohibit the use of pens and paper documentation being created because of ISO policies that don't allow for paper records. 

It sounds as though this prohibition may not be entirely helpful.

The Scrum Guide says:

The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren’t.

Also:

The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.

Putting the matter of documentation and records to one side, might pen and paper help the Scrum Team to interact in certain situations, and thereby improve value? Shouldn't it be the team themselves who decide whether or not to use such things?

12:04 am March 4, 2020

If there is such a policy about no paper records, it doesn't come from an ISO standard or any other similar standard that I'm aware of. The company established such policies on their own. Of course, when it comes to such standards one of the most important things is to say what you do and do what you say. The company needs to evaluate how this is helping their compliance and if there is a better way.

It seems like the first step is to evaluate the company policies and procedures. If there's a prohibition on paper records, it seems extremely likely that there are other documented procedures that are likely to be significant roadblocks to agility, whether it takes the form of Scrum or some other framework.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.