Skip to main content

High Performance Teams

Last post 04:34 pm March 13, 2020 by SANJAR HAKIMI
9 replies
07:00 am March 12, 2020

Hi,

Our development team has a conflict with one development team member. Totally 6 developers are held in the team, but one person has not support the others so much. He does not commit massive development,also basic implementations are not complete in one sprint. For example we change his development items to another new colleague and finished in one sprint from the beginning. His knowledge is the same with the others but, his commitment is a little bit different, and we see his impact on velocity. What do you suggest us? any specific retro template to courage him, or talking the root causes to solve conflict.

Thanks

09:41 am March 12, 2020

Has the rest of the Dev Team brought this up?

What might be indications of why this is happening?

What is his background in the organization (prior experience, maybe bad experience)?

What have you tried?

What options do you see to try?

01:02 pm March 12, 2020

Hi

Development team and i said our concerns direct and indirect ways. Like anonymous retros,in dailys, during the day they ask for also help. We tried to be open but of course we keep our respect,but we did not understand root cause for his velocity or commitment issues. We make 5 dysfunction team assesment,stinck fisk,STAR liberating structure,Heard-Seen-Respected etc.. But to be honest if he faced with a bad experience,he did not tell us anything. Neverthless i am lack of options ,because we tried a lot.

Thanks

01:22 pm March 12, 2020

What is response if you present him with your finding and ask him what's going on?

02:20 pm March 12, 2020

Kidding,laughing,He is reckless when we said some complaints.

02:53 pm March 12, 2020

Does he recognize the evidence placed before him? Does he acknowledge it as being real?

06:26 am March 13, 2020

It's time to change the developer. It's not pleasant but in many cases, it's the best thing you can do. You already invested a lot of time and resources. Some investments won't bring you any return...this developer is such an investment.

There is even a chance that your 5-developer team will be faster and more productive as soon as you'll remove the problematic person.

Now don't get me wrong. I always try to work with people and help them and the group to align their work. But sometimes it's just impossible and the only good solution is to remove the problematic person that has a strong impact on the morale of other teammates.

10:14 am March 13, 2020

Hi,

@Ian , he does not recognize i think, but whole team said the effects. 

@Dawid , i strongly believe you, because commonly i found my self just think like your words.

Thanks

03:29 pm March 13, 2020

Hi,

I assume you are the Scrum Master? Did you try to have a 1:1 talk with him, offside the rest of the team? Sometimes that helps. We have had this with a colleague once, that he did not really react on feedback given by or in presence of the team. But in an 1:1 he did not feel under the gun and was able to discuss the issues.

I would try that and feedback his manager as well. If all that does not help, I would also go with Dawid's suggestion to change the developer. Also something we have done in our programme with a developer that was not working well, but with the new team everything got better.

03:50 pm March 13, 2020

Agreed. If not already done so, conduct the 1:1 first.

Removal will involve escalating up to management, of course.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.