Skip to main content

Scrum Masters: This is your time to shine

Last post 04:53 pm March 19, 2020 by Curtis Slough
No replies yet
04:53 pm March 19, 2020

Fellow Scrum Masters,

We are in trying times for sure. So much uncertainty across the globe, shelves are bare, people are unable to work, other people are figuring out life working from; this is uncharted territory for the vast majority of the globe. So how can the Scrum Masters help with this? Show you care. I'm a Scrum Master for 2 teams right now and I made a point this morning to use a portion of out normal Parking Lot time in our Daily Scrum to do a pulse check with my team members. Definitely heard a good amount of "I'm good", "I'm okay", "I'm staying healthy", and one of the greatest was when people got real "It's scary, I had to go to 4 stores to get diapers and wipes, we need other food items." I also shared some of my personal challenges of working from home and things my wife is dealing with as our son can't go to his day school for toddlers, and it just opened up the room to share a bit more. So why do I say this is our time to shine? Because you have the privilege to be in a position of servant leadership and a position that if you are vulnerable and express compassion to your teams, it can literally change lives. While I would say this should be happening regardless of the global pandemic, it is especially important now to be there for your teams. Show you care for them, check in on them individually. Sometimes just a simple text, private message, or phone call can be all someone needs to smile again. So go out and help keep your team's focus on the work for your respective products but make sure you check in frequently with your teams on a personal level. You want to see trust built? This is a surefire way to make that happen.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.