Skip to main content

Maximum and minimum number members in Nexus teams

Last post 05:28 pm March 25, 2020 by Thomas Owens
6 replies
03:27 pm March 23, 2020

Hi,

Please help me to understand the maximum and minimum number of persons in Nexus team. My calculation is as follows:

The maximum number of participants in a Nexus team for 9 teams.

Product Owner: 1

Nexus Integration team (10):

• Scrum Master: 1
  • Others member: 9

Scrum teams for 9 teams: (9*9 + 9 = 90):

• Scrum master: 1/team
  • Development team: 9/team

Total = 1+10+90 = 101 persons

The minimum number of participants in a Nexus team for 3 teams.

Product Owner: 1

Nexus Integration team (0):

• Scrum Master: 0 (No extra. 1 scrum master from the scrum team who take the responsibility)
  • Others member: 0 (No extra, Participants from the scrum team)

Scrum teams for 3 teams: (3*9 + 3 =30):

• Scrum master: 1/team
  • Development team: 9/team

Total = 1+0+30 = 31 persons.

06:15 pm March 23, 2020

So Nexus follows the SUGGESTED size of teams found in the Scrum Guide. Keep in mind, there is hard maximum or minimum number for Scrum Teams. 

06:29 pm March 23, 2020

Firstly, Curtis is right - the numbers in the Scrum Guide are suggestions. Scrum has been seen to work effectively with teams of those sizes. Unlike other aspects of the Scrum Guide, having fewer people or more people than the suggestions does not mean that you aren't doing Scrum anymore.

However, looking at ranges could be useful to understand limitations at which point Nexus may not be adding value. Your calculations for the minimum number of participants is off. You're correct that Nexus is geared toward an organization of at least three teams. You would have a single Product Owner for the Nexus, plus perhaps a Scrum Master for each team. However, the Scrum Guide calls out a Development Team size of between 3 and 9, so 3 Development Team members would be the smallest. This would be 1 (Product Owner) + (3 * 1) Scrum Masters + (3 * 3) Development Team members, or 1 Product Owner + 3 Scrum Masters + 9 Development Team Members. 13 people is probably your minimum size for a Nexus. I'd also point out that there's nothing that says that each team must have its own Scrum Master - in my personal experiences, a skilled and effective Scrum Master can support 2, maybe 3 teams, depending on the maturity of the teams. You may be able to run a Nexus with a few as 11 people if you have a shared Scrum Master as well.

Something else to consider when you have smaller organizations is if it's better to have two larger teams or three smaller teams. Consider the effective points of Scrum (Development Teams of 3-9, plus a Product Owner and Scrum Master). At the lower end ranges of the Nexus, it may be more effective to have one or two Scrum Teams and a much lighter coordination framework than Nexus.

08:37 pm March 23, 2020

Please help me to understand the maximum and minimum number of persons in Nexus team.

The maximum and minimum number to achieve what?

10:15 pm March 23, 2020

Dear Thomas Owens,

Thank you for your explanation about the minimum size for Nexus. I understand my calculation mistake ☹.

Now I also think that 11 people should be the smallest size of Nexus.

Is it correct that the maximum number of people in Nexus is 101?

Br,

Khaleed Latif

10:19 pm March 23, 2020

Dear Ian Mitchell,

I am preparing for SPS certification and I was confused about the number of peoples in Nuxus.

Br,

Khaleed Latif

05:28 pm March 25, 2020

Is it correct that the maximum number of people in Nexus is 101?

No. There is no hard maximum number of people in a Nexus.

Based on experiences, most Scrum Teams are most effective with between 3 and 9 Development Team members, a Product Owner, and a Scrum Master. Likewise, Nexus tends to be most effective for approximately between 3 and 9 Scrum Teams. However, you can have a Development Team of 10, 11, 12 or more people or a Nexus of 10, 11, or 12 Scrum Teams. These sizes aren't rules of Scrum or Nexus, but guidance based on what has been seen to be effective. What works for you may be different.

There's a clear difference between a rule of Scrum (or Nexus) and recommendations or guidance. Team size is not a rule, but guidance based on the experiences of most teams in a variety of situations.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.