Skip to main content

Scrum Master Should have technical knowledge?

Last post 04:19 pm April 7, 2020 by Mohammad Umar Farooq
4 replies
08:03 am April 6, 2020

I have came across many organizations demanding Scrum Master to be technical, so just wanted to check why should a Scrum master be technical and what challenges he face if he is non technical?

If yes, then what skills should he develop ?

05:42 pm April 6, 2020

I have came across many organizations demanding Scrum Master to be technical, so just wanted to check why should a Scrum master be technical and what challenges he face if he is non technical?

My advice is to evaluate these "demands" critically, first of all. Does the organization really want a Scrum Master, or are they looking for someone in a technical leadership or management role, and which they would like to dress up in Scrum terminology?

06:22 am April 7, 2020

Indeed what Ian says. And to add to that: I have seen this as a way if trying to cut costs; why hire a Dev ánd SM when you can have both in one. You can already why this wont work in real life, right?

Personally, I think a tech background can help (as it can be a pitfall as well) depending on the context, but coaching skills trump tech in any regard

04:03 pm April 7, 2020

Should the Scrum Master have a technical background?  Should a software developer have a quality assurance background?  Basically the same question and the answer is the same. There is not a good answer.  It could be beneficial but not that it is necessary. I know some great Scrum Masters who have helped their teams become highly productive and those people came from non-techinical backgrounds.  

As @Xander Ladage said, the ability to coach a team to be self-organizing, self-managing, self-aware is by far most important for a Scrum Master.

04:19 pm April 7, 2020

I second all the above responses. I would like to emphasise to refer the roots first statement from the Agile Manifesto that is more necessary than knowledge about the tools and process,

People and Interactions over Process and Tools

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.