Skip to main content

Failed on first attempt for PSM 1

Last post 09:30 pm April 19, 2020 by Mark Adams
2 replies
12:50 am April 19, 2020

I failed on my first attempt for PSM 1 certification by just one question. I got 67 out of 80.

Regarding the exams, I need some more advice for my next preparation which I will be attempting in the next 2 days.

Any help regarding the preparation would be appreciated. Also, any tips on how to manage time during the exam would also be useful.

10:59 am April 19, 2020

Hi Siddhesh - You were very close, and I am glad you're not giving up. Here are some tips I give to students, maybe this will help:

• Read The Scrum Pocket Guide by Gunther Verheyen
  • Read Scrum Insights for Practitioners, by Hiren Doshi
  • There are other great books but this is a start.
  • Read the Scrum Guide! Read the Scrum Glossary. Be able to clearly describe the purpose of the roles, artifacts, and events. Understand what empiricism is and how the elements of Scrum leverage empiricism. Understand the rules found in the Scrum Guide, such as the time-boxes for the 5 Scrum events. Understand the accountabilities of the three Scrum roles. Know about the Scrum values.
  • Take the free Open Assessment until you are confident with all of the questions. The PSM I exam will be more challenging, but this will build you confidence.
  • Download (free) and read the Scrum Guide Re-ordered by Stefan Wolpers, PST. The Scrum Guide Reordered is based on about 90 percent of the text of the 2017 Scrum Guide, extending its original structure by adding additional categories.
  • You may also find it valuable to take the Product Owner Open Assessment and the Scrum Developer Open Assessment and the as a way to gain additional perspective on the other roles of a Scrum Team.
  • Review the Scrum Master Learning Path for any topics you are not sure of.
  • Here are even more resources here to help you prepare.
  • If you've taken the PSM I course, review the course reference guide and your notes from class, including group discussions and team exercises.

Lastly remember the true value of this is learning about being a Scrum Master, not collecting the certificate, and this is just the start of your journey.

09:30 pm April 19, 2020

There are a lot of helpful forums posts on how folks prepared for and passed the PSM I. It is possible that you're not finding them because you're searching for PSM 1 instead of PSM I.

I highly recommend that you also take an in-person PSM class from a PST.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.