Skip to main content

Product Backlog needed for every...?

Last post 04:07 pm April 20, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
05:55 pm April 19, 2020

Hello everybody,

I found question that raises my doubts, however it shouldn't. But is always best to ask experts in the forum, the questions as follows: "a separate product backlog is needed for every": product, dev. team, portfolio, program or all of the above?. If I am not mistaken 1 Product = 1 Product Backlog.

Thank you all

03:01 am April 20, 2020

Hello Miguel, 

1 Product Backlog per Product.  If you were to have multiple Product Backlogs, it would be difficult to deal with dependencies, transparency across teams, prioritization, etc.

04:07 pm April 20, 2020

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. 

Those are the first two sentences of the Scrum Guide's section that describes the Product Backlog.  So if you started to create separate backlogs per development team, portfolio or program would you really have a single source of requirements? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.