Skip to main content

Need clarification to PSM1 open assesment question/answer

Last post 08:13 am April 27, 2020 by remy berrebi
5 replies
03:57 pm April 26, 2020

Hi every one,

I know i'm probably wrong about my point of view about 1 question, but i prefer to share it with you, to better understand SG and Scrum with your help.

Here is the question :

--- the length of a sprint should be :

1/ Short enough to keep business risk ok for te PO

2/short enough to be able to be in sync with business event

3/ no more than one month

4/ ALL OF THOSE ANSWERS ARE CORRECT

My answer was 3 .... what would be your's ?? because correct answer, according to the open assesment is number 4. And yes, i'm not agree. Business event or business risk may lead to something like "ok, we can have new feature every 2 months... or every 5 weeks (that is more than a month...). On my side, logical make be believe that if answer 4 was "all of those answers are correct TOGETHER" i will for sure pick this one ! Because SG is strict about time box. It's clearly about exact value, not a idea of that value/length/duration "should be around 15 min, or "well 4 week, of 5 week, that's ok...". What's your opinion? Why am I wrong ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feed back and help.

Regards,

04:08 pm April 26, 2020

It is all of the above because your responses are not possible if all of the above because #3 is part of all of the above.  The length of the Sprint is no more than one month and is designed based on those other factors as well as others.

04:49 pm April 26, 2020

argh, takes time to answer you then focus on this comment form changed (thanks captcha) and backspace hit on my keyboard ... and I lost my answer... :-)

so, let’s try again ;-)

When it says “all above are correct” it means something simple : each answer is OK and correct by itself BUT because all the 3 answers are OK, and you can choose only one, the last answer “all of those answer are correct” it’s the only possibility, then it become the right answer to give.

The question/answer form is not a checkbox list, but a radio selection.

Imagine this question is changed to a checkbox list, will you check the 3 answers 1 2 and 3 ?

On my side answer 1 and 2 is too vague to clearly assume that duration of the sprint will always be less or equal to 1 month. For someone in the organization a business event that occur by the end of the year can clearly means “sprint can be about 6 weeks duration”.

SG is clear and never give and estimation but a real value of maximum time : 1 month that some people convert to 30 calendar days (by the way, how do we manage February ?). not 5 weeks. Not 4 weeks. A month maximum. When answer 1 and 2 is subjective enough to be able to say something greater than a month.

To reform my topic : can this question be changed to add TOGETHER to the answer “all of those answer are correct” ??? like this there is no more confusion. It’s a logical AND like in database query that apply to the 3 answers.

thanks for you reply and sorry if i try to arg my way. i'm trying to see all vision to understand SG the best i can.

12:42 am April 27, 2020

Question: The length of a Sprint should be:

1/ Short enough to keep the business risk acceptable to the Product Owner.

2/ Short enough to be able to synchronize the development work with other businesses.

3/ No more than four weeks.

4/ All of these answers are correct.

Answer: [4]

Explanation:

Site: https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#events-sprint

Why all the 3 answers are correct?

[1] It is also important to consider business needs such as the two mentioned (risk and synchronization). Time isn't the only consideration. Note that Development Team capabilities may constrain the optimal Sprint length, although they should not be a driving concern.

[2] Learning Scrum is much more than memorizing the answers to questions. It also involves understanding why the answers are correct.  

Scrum - Length of a Sprint

08:13 am April 27, 2020

ok i start to understand the why. risk need to be taken into account. business too of course ! i never said it should not by the way. So if someone say : "we minimize risk by doing sprint of 6 weeks, because one month is not enougth to product new feature to offer to our user" we are agree to make a sprint of 6 weeks !

of course no! in SG "one month is repeated 4 times minimum for a purpose. All considération need to be taken into account BUT one month it an objective and mesurebale value for everyone, when the 2 other response is subjective and personnal perspective value that may be different to everyone. we are over 7 billions people on earth, so i guess a lot of people will not always give a period of less than one month for the 2 first answers.

first answer to be correct and never be discussed should be : Short enough to keep the business risk acceptable to the Product Owner. until it's equal or less than a calendar month.

again, question is good, but need this little tiny more detail about answer to be clear as a sprint goal !

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.